JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a love/hate relationship with my tires. As a trail tire I love 'em. If there's rough rocks to crawl over they're great. They're not too shabby in mud or sand either. As a slickrock tire I absolutely hate 'em. They suck is on smooth rock. Grrrrrrr! :pissed:

I decided to take matters into my own hands to see if I could boost the smooth rock performance of these things. To do this I picked up a tire groover from Summit Racing. It came with a number 5 bade/head which about 5/16" wide. I set it for 5/16" depth so that the mass of each tread block would remain but that enough was removed to add flexibility.

My Hankook DynaPro MT's have a chevron tread design on both of the center rows of lugs. I decided to groove from the center of the "V" notch to the center point on the flat opposite side of the lug.

What I ended up with was a whole bunch of little rubber cut outs and lots more grooves in the tires. (this is only 1/2 of one tire)

After four tires (I didn't do the spare) I could tell the blade was finally getting dull. It still cut like a hot knife through butter but the exit cuts became more like tears vs. cuts. OBTW - Don't kid yourself about the groover getting hot. At one point a nice green leaf fluttered down and landed on my hand and on the grover. I didn't pay any attention as I was concentrating on making my cut, but after a few seconds the leaf caught fire :eek: :laughing:

As for results... well, I'm not sure. They seem quieter now, and I'm not going to complain about that. The trucks ride also seems smoother now, but I don't know whether to attribute the smoother ride to the grooved tires or to my new Poly Performance 4.5" springs that were installed this weekend. Again, either way I'm not going to complain. Hopefully with so many more facing edges to bite the rock face and the tire potentially being more flexible my slickrock performance will be better. We'll see. :laughing: ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I'll bet that they will also be better on wet pavement as well. It seems that they will be less prone to hydroplaning....not that you had that issue before, but this "groovy" modification should only help with that potential issue. The job you did looks professional enough that it was difficult to tell in the first pic where the additional siping was done. You must have a great deal of patience and a very steady hand. Awesome job!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
No template??? Pretty impressive! I've helped a friend do road tires for his 69 corvette and we built a template. I watched and he did one tire. I left because I didn't have the patience to sit there while he did them. Anywho, looks very professional and I agree it was hard to tell where you did until I notice the missing pattern.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, good job indeed! These are also the tires that i'm thinking of getting since my JK is a daily driver and i've heard these tires are quiet and wear very well. I think of them as an extremely aggresive all terrain type design patterned tire. I think with the grooves you did it should do better on the rocks and in the rain. :beer:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it took about 30 minutes a tire. Possibly less. I set up a bench in the shade and just let the groover do the work. All in all it wasn't that bad. I did two tires on one day and the other two the following day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts