JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gonna have to change the run to Table Mesa.

Let me know who's in. Maybe we can meet up for dinner prior to the run?

Chino Bandito!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You know I'm in

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Well Meg and I are thinking of hitting this run with you guys too. A little harder for us to get away during the week but if it's a really great run we can try to work it out. So, that said, is this a technical run or just a scenic one?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well Meg and I are thinking of hitting this run with you guys too. A little harder for us to get away during the week but if it's a really great run we can try to work it out. So, that said, is this a technical run or just a scenic one?
The area has been closed since the fires last year, so we won't know for sure until the 1st when trip reports come back from other groups. The VJC is running it the morning of the 1st and there's about 30 of them.

Prior to the closure it was an easy to moderate rated trail. Some rough road going along the mountainside, some rocks in the creek bed, a old mill and several mines along the way, a crack to play on if you wish, etc. Not really technical, but it will definitely get you if you're not paying attention. It's a great trail, definitely one of my favorites.

I lost all my wheelin pics, but here's a couple pics from the VJC forum that pretty much sum it up. Its a great night run trail. Especially down in the creek bed.

Video of the Airpark Jeep Jam Run Oct 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJgda_X_RI

Airdown, we start through the gate on the left, trail is about 5 miles and loops back to the gate on the right.

This is the optional way, bypass is to the right

The Crack.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Great, thanks! Looks pretty fun. Will pass this on to Meg and we can decide what to do. How's camping in the area?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of primitive camping areas right off the road that leads to the trail and a few really cool spots along the trail off the creek bed.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The rocks are sneaky at night! Do not let Two Wheel Drive Tim lead this run! :lol: I ran this at night with Tony riding shotgun with Tim in his white JKU. I ran it on stock KM's, open/open, with a small BB. Basically how I am still set up and had very few problems. I only folded a single LCAB on the passenger side. We ran it with snow and lots of running water so very few people would have a problem making it through this or having fun with it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Ok guys. Meg and I are gonna pass on this one. The run sounds great and the trail looks like it would be really fun but I think we'd like to do it in the daytime so we could enjoy all the scenery since it's a pretty easy trail. We'll just wait for a day run and see if we can make it then. Thanks and have a safe trip:)

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I would guess after all the flash flooding that its a completely different trail!

Jason
Hey Jason, Murray down in Tucson. How ya doin? You thinking just mildly different or extremely different making things more challenging perhaps? I don't mind doing a night run in the area but only if it poses a challenge. I hate to miss out on all the great scenery on a trail in the dark if that's what the big attraction is.

Although, I suppose that if we camped and spent some time driving around our maybe do the run again in the daylight on Friday it might be ok but then here we are running alone and I'm not too thrilled about that.

I don't want to seem wishy washy, just want to have any out of town trips be worth it, especially if we take time off work during the week to do it. That said, anybody interested in camping out Thursday night and showing us around a bit on Friday before we head back home?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Hey Jason, Murray down in Tucson. How ya doin? You thinking just mildly different or extremely different making things more challenging perhaps? I don't mind doing a night run in the area but only if it poses a challenge. I hate to miss out on all the great scenery on a trail in the dark if that's what the big attraction is.

Although, I suppose that if we camped and spent some time driving around our maybe do the run again in the daylight on Friday it might be ok but then here we are running alone and I'm not too thrilled about that.

I don't want to seem wishy washy, just want to have any out of town trips be worth it, especially if we take time off work during the week to do it. That said, anybody interested in camping out Thursday night and showing us around a bit on Friday before we head back home?
Ok Chris. :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I'm not wishy washy, the answer is always no! :D

Are you calling my ass big? :thefinger:
Haha, I think Jimbo was referring to one of our Chris' down here who always is in, but out, but not really, maybe, I don't know, I'll let you know, I'll keep you posted...lol. So I guess I was walking in his footsteps kinda, sorta:)

However, if you do have a big ass you should be a good golfer:thefinger:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I'm not wishy washy, the answer is always no! :D

Are you calling my ass big? :thefinger:
Go ask your wife first. Then it might be a maybe.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In case Jason didn't get back to you. You're probably going to be disappointed if you're looking for a challenge.

Oh, ya know It could be a challenge for Jason. If he's not flying ahead of everybody he's turning around cause he refuses to do a challenging obstacle... (cough, MOAB, cough, STEELBENDER....2012...) :hide:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts