JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to pick an axle to upgrade to. My question to the masses is width. WMS to WMS
I have an 08 2dr with a teraflex 6" long arm lift and 42" MTR's
The stock axles have 1.5" adapters to clear the tires, but the front still hits the frame a bit on full turn.

My thought would be 68.5 or 70" axles, but then there is the wheel backspacing that comes into play. I currently have 4" BS but realize that the 8x6.5 options seem to be limited to 4.75" of BS

Any recommendations? Also anyone know an easy way to figure out SAI or scrub angle to add to the confusion?

I am not concerned with brand or any other issues. TBH I have over 140k on my D30 and D44, with approx 7k miles of that being off roading through swamps and such. Never an issue with the front, and bent my rear axle tube, then busted the welds and had the axle tubes riding out of the pumpkin in the rear. Welded them in, and no issues.

Thanks in advance for the input. :nerd:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, stock JK WMS is around 65.25" so if right now you have 4" backspace plus 1.5" backspace (effectively 2.5" backspace), then if you switch out to 4.75" backspace wheels you want your WMS to be 4.5" bigger to be right where you are right now, which is 69.75". So if you're rubbing now, you probably actually want 71-72" WMS if you plan to use 4.75" backspace wheels.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I would look at running 72" with 42" tires and that back spacing. I will be running a 72"WMS with 5.28" bs wheels and 40" MTR's. I actually needed the extra width for shock clearance and room on the tube for brackets.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
You said 42" MTRs so 17" wheel. Walker Evans has 3.75" BS, Trail Ready and Spyderlock both have 3.5" BS 17" wheels in the 8x6.5 bolt pattern just to name a few so not sure why you think you are limited to 4.75"...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Why do you think 4.75 is all you can get?

I run 3.5 and most high end wheel manufacturers have tons of options

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.
I can find 70" WMS axles, but I haven't seen anything wider then that yet.
And I need to look harder at the BS options. I guess my thinking was (currently at a 9" wide wheel with 4" of BS the geometry seems right for scrub.)
So I was concerned that going to a 3" BS would put the center of the wheel to far off of the WMS

Now off to do more looking for that wider axle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts