JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it hurt anything running my jeep without a front axle shaft if I plug the axle tube. My drivers side snapped and I don't have the funds to go with aftermarket axles. Stock shaft is on back order until March sometime. I can't find any in the US and I kinda need my jeep to get back and forth to work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
i wouldnt advise running like that for long periods of time it wold be difficult to plug of the tube completely leaving your axle open to contamination

I konw ORE makes a Plug that will seal it up

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Where are you? I'm sure if you beg enough you can borrow someones spare for a while if they are local. Do you have. 30 or 32 spline?

... Or call 4x4 shop (local and on forums)... Someone should have a used one somewhere that they will sell cheap.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I ran mine with disposable shop towels for several hundred miles. Then I put in the Off-Road Evolution axle plug for several hundred more. No Problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be awesome. Its strickley gonna be on road driving. Buts its not a huge deal if I can't get one right away. Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
934 Posts
depends on the weather mostly. if you are dry, you will be fine with shop towels. i would recommend draining the fluid after the new shaft has been put in...you never know. :)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
If you're gonna do a lot of highway driving, I would recommend removing the other axle shaft as well. Drain some of the diff fluid and stuff a shop rag in each tube.

Running one axle shaft for long periods of time, at highway speeds will cause the spider and side gears(in your diff's carrier) to get very hot. They will be constantly turning at a much higher rate of speed than they are designed to run. This is o.k. to get you off the trail, but not for long periods of time at highway speeds.

Removing the other shaft will allow you to run all day at any speed, and your diff components won't even be moving at all. Draining some of the fluid will just minimize the potential mess. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Asking again... Where are you and what spline?
I'm in West Virginia, I went ahead just pulled both sides out and sealed the crap out of the tubes.I think my parents are gonna bail me out and order me alloys.I have to pay them back of course. Its sad 29 years old and bummin money off mommy.Don't tell anyone!lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts