JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recognize the axle seal in this picture? The one on the left with the red ring. The customer has rusted axle shafts and hub bearing. He came in with vin wanting to replace. Shafts on order but gave him the seal for his vin. It's too small. My guess is the axle was upgraded. Hoping some axle guru might recognize to give us a place to start.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Finger Household hardware Body jewelry Wood Gas

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Circle

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Tammy,

Can you be more specific about what is too small? Meaning it is too loose in the axle housing or shafts won't fit? Which model Jeep (without sharing the VIN, please) does his JK come out as?

-Scrooge

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tammy,

Can you be more specific about what is too small? Meaning it is too loose in the axle housing or shafts won't fit? Which model Jeep (without sharing the VIN, please) does his JK come out as?

-Scrooge
Jeep is a 2013 Wrangler built 1-11 which is before some switch on 1.26. He bought the Jeep used out of Alabama o_O The axles are "rust welded" (my terminology) to the hub. The customer decided to order new axle shafts / hubs / seals. Based on the vin number we put an order in. With the great parts fiasco the only on had parts were the seals. He took the seals home which is the only new parts he had. He claims the new seal is too small.

Tool Wood Gas Metal Nickel

Wood Automotive tire Art Auto part Automotive wheel system

My deduction is the rusted parts are a Dana 30 based on the casting number, diff cover and diff. (he sent these pictures after the original post)

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Machine

Automotive tire Blue Fluid Vehicle brake Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Font Auto part

I double checked all my part numbers and they are correct. The new seal (which is on the right in the pictures in the original post) apparently is too small per the customer. The seal on the left is the seal with the rusted axle

At first before the other pictures I though maybe the axle was an upgrade, but my deduction is it's the factory Dana 30.
The Jeep does have a 3.5" lift with 34" tires (I think on the tires)

Curious about the seal.

And.... Thanks so much for taking time from you busy day of knocking ducks of Jeeps to help me!

Jeep Momma

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh... He claims he found a video with the Bearded Jeeper and the seal is a National Seal 710863 ??? I looked it up and couldn't tell for sure. And I am trying to see what that seal would be used for.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That one on the left almost looks like a pinion seal. What P/N are you using for the one on the right?
:unsure:
The one on the right is straight off of Mopar parts matched to the vin - Axle seal. The customer ordered 2. I don't have the number with me right now. I even had the guy look at the pictures to make sure we were talking the same parts.

I am learning real fast that some people have different names for parts. Even the parts catalog does. My boss tells me Tomato (long a) Tomato (short a) all the time. It is real frustrating.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Does anyone recognize the axle seal in this picture? The one on the left with the red ring. The customer has rusted axle shafts and hub bearing. He came in with vin wanting to replace. Shafts on order but gave him the seal for his vin. It's too small. My guess is the axle was upgraded. Hoping some axle guru might recognize to give us a place to start. View attachment 366613 View attachment 366614
If you're working at a dealer, why not go out to the shop and ask a tech? When I was a parts person, I would ask the techs questions. When I was a tech, I helped the parts people.

The one on the left looks like the front axle seal:

The one on the right looks like the rear axle seal:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're working at a dealer, why not go out to the shop and ask a tech? When I was a parts person, I would ask the techs questions. When I was a tech, I helped the parts people.

The one on the left looks like the front axle seal:

The one on the right looks like the rear axle seal:
WOW! What a great idea. I never thought of that. :thefinger:

It was Friday afternoon. Said techs were long gone. (we have 3 and 1 in training). I was hoping for an answer before that in case it was an aftermarket part which would mean the guys axle was aftermarket and possibly larger than the factory axle. Which would mean I would of had to cancel a thousand dollars worth of parts which I could do Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right back at you. You should have thicker skin working in a car dealerhsip. So was I right about it being the front axle seal that the customer needs versus the rear axle seal that was purchased?
Yeah thick skin is needed when dealing with technicians. They tend to be a little curmudgeonie! :ROFLMAO:

I still have no idea. He is bringing in all his parts Monday.

It was the front axle seal that I purchased, or so I thought. I check and double check before I purchase anything. I will check the part number first thing Monday.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mystery solved...

The customer's original picture are both front axle seals for the Jeep Wrangler front axle shafts. I misunderstood his text. the seal on the right is the old seal on the rusted axles. The one on the left is the new seal the parts catalog says goes with the 2013 Jeep Wrangler front axle.

HOWEVER... apparently there are two axle seals: One for 2008 to 2012 then the newer one for 2013 to ???. They are NOT interchangeable but are for a specific shaft.

So we found the older seal on the shelf and that works with the 2013 axle shaft I ordered. The one that matches the shaft in the parts system does not.. It is my best guess this is a crossover year.

I tried getting an answer why the parts didn't match up, but it seems I have earned the top secret security curmudgeon status yet. Therefore I am not allowed to ask questions. So I went to lunch and made myself a sammie in the kitchen. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts