JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had to replace my stock driver side axle shaft in my dana 30 (dont ask...)

when putting the new one in, it wasnt sliding very well into the carrier at the diff so i assume its because there was no lube on the shaft and the splines were probably "newer" than the shaft i pulled. I managed to get it in with a little force and a small hammer.

However now my axle nut wont fit onto the threads, some of the first two threads are slightly bent (probably my doing).

Until i have time to file the threads and get the nut on, is it ok to drive without it? my thinking is the u joint assembly wont slip past the hub, so as long as the hub is tight which it is, i shouldnt have an issue.

What do the JK gods think?

Thanks
Jason

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,100 Posts
Yes, pull it and stuff a rag good and tight in the axle tube. Preferably a rag wrapped in a zip loc bag.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Next time you need to "hammer" the axle in, you could try a deadblow hammer with a soft face. That should keep you from messing up the threads and you might find it easier to get the axle in with this. Harbor Freight has some good and cheap ones, the one I picked up from them has served me just fine for almost 10 years now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts