JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of beefing up the dana 30 up front on my JK. looking at Rusty's axle gussets.

Is it possible to weld the gussets on while the axle is still mounted on the jeep? or is it required to remove the axle and shafts? I doubt there any risk of burning thru, but would the heat of welding mess anything up? Seals bearings etc?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
you should be fine, most people just do small sections at a time and even put a wet rag on the welds to cool them down and go back and forth from side to side to letting time for each side to cool down a bit. the gussets are a very smart upgrade:beer:

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Yup. Can definitely be done with the axle in place.
Did a set of polys yesterday actually.
Well let me put a disclaimer on that- poly performance and OREs can be done on the jeep- never done a set of rustys.

Just do a little bit at a time and alternate sides/upper/lower too keep as much heat out of the plastic ball joints as possible.
I also use a wet towel on the bjs between passes to help cool them/prevent as much heat soak as possible.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Awsome thanks for the tips! Mine are in the mail

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought the teraflex just because there easy to weld in, ive welded both styles.
They get HOT when welding them on be VERY careful not to melt your balljoints...they are plastic if still stock.
I installed poly bj's after welding gussets.:beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts