JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Avon/Vail/???

We're headed to Avon second week of Dec (dec 9-16). (Hopefully my lift is on by then)... We're actually driving up from louisiana (a 20 hour trip) instead of flying. We're looking for skiing/snowmobiling/jeep trails and stuff. I believe vail is the best place to head from avon, but just started my research... Anyone can guide us in where/what to do while we're there? :)

I can't wait to get my jeep in the snow.!!!! :bounce:

Scott.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is vail and is very close to avon. great skiing lol.
Yea, we're going to ski for a couple days, but was hoping to do some other stuff too. I would love to hit some jeep trails, but it seems they are closed in december... Other than that, have no idea what else is up there... :)

Scott.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, this is mountain/ski country. Vail elevation is near 8000ft and Avon like 7400. No trails will be open to wheeling in Dec. Many open for snowmobiles though.
LOL! Yea, I know... We were in Breckenridge a few years ago...although that was before the jeep thing. Oh well, guess we'll have to rent a snowmobile... fun fun!! :)

Scott.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always like to hit the hot springs 45 minutes west at glenwood springs http://www.hotspringspool.com/
I actually just got recommended to go there. I suppose it's a pretty cool (or warm) place to go. I'm thinking we'll do skiing in beaver creek. We're looking for cheap lift rates now. I think there's a good ski rental place in avon. We're thinking we're going to do 2 days skiing, 1 day in aspen (wife wants to see it), 1 day either snowmobiling or dogsledding (no idea where yet), and one day sledding/tubing....

Scott.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
This place is about 2 miles from me and it's where I normally rent skis/boots from, they also sell passes. Give them a call and check prices compared to buying them at Beaver Creek. It's right off the highway and on your route so you can pick them up on the way and return them on the way back.

There are a couple of places on I70 as you hit the mountains but they are normally a zoo, this place is normally not that busy. The only downside is making sure you get the right fitting boots because you can't exactly swap them out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sport...04.885209&fspn=0.012499,0.015364&z=16&iwloc=A

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This place is about 2 miles from me and it's where I normally rent skis/boots from, they also sell passes. Give them a call and check prices compared to buying them at Beaver Creek. It's right off the highway and on your route so you can pick them up on the way and return them on the way back.

There are a couple of places on I70 as you hit the mountains but they are normally a zoo, this place is normally not that busy. The only downside is making sure you get the right fitting boots because you can't exactly swap them out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sport...04.885209&fspn=0.012499,0.015364&z=16&iwloc=A
There's a place called venture sports in avon that I found that does $27 a day for newbi skis and $$ 33 for demo skis... Not sure that's a bad price or not compaired to the other one. I think I'm more concerned with the lift tickets. They look to be $90-100 a day...

Scott.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
yeah- if you're looking for cheap skiing Beaver Creek and Aspen are the two places you don't want to go, unless as EAD mentioned you can find discount tix.

as for other fun, drink beer. Its a hell of a lot more fun at altitude.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
458 Posts
There are a ton of places up here to rent gear, if you do get stuff in denver as said before get good boots. If your boots suck you will be miserable. Also any tickets you buy for Vail will be interchangeable at Beaver Creek / Breckenrigde / keystone so you can go anywhere. Search around the web, there are plenty of ticket deals out there.

As for jeeping up here in december.... well,,, just park it and go skiing.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
There's a place called venture sports in avon that I found that does $27 a day for newbi skis and $$ 33 for demo skis...
Oh, didn't realize you were a new skier, for sure get the boots very local at the mountain and ignore my last advice. Getting fitted for boots is hit and miss when you are new and there is a good chance you will want to swap them.

Tickets are for sure cheaper in just about any Denver grocery than the resorts though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah- if you're looking for cheap skiing Beaver Creek and Aspen are the two places you don't want to go, unless as EAD mentioned you can find discount tix.

as for other fun, drink beer. Its a hell of a lot more fun at altitude.:beer::beer:
We're staying in Avon and I think the best skiing is right next to it at Beaver Creek. Heard there are plenty of green slopes. We're not skiing in aspen...the wife wants to window shop and see what the hype's all about... We're very new to skiing (**** asses here)... It's been a few years since we saw snow...lol.

·
Registered
458 Posts
We're staying in Avon and I think the best skiing is right next to it at Beaver Creek. Heard there are plenty of green slopes. We're not skiing in aspen...the wife wants to window shop and see what the hype's all about... We're very new to skiing (**** asses here)... It's been a few years since we saw snow...lol.
Beaver Creek will be perfect. Very friendly for beginners and a really nice base area to hang out in. Being beginners, just get your gear up here. Vail/Beaver Creek sports up in BC's village, or Christy Sports right in Avon will have every thing you need.

Have fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.