JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just got my 7" HIDX auxillary lights from the Fed Ex man yesterday and I'm trying to figure out where to mount a switch. I'm thinking I'll end up with a contura rocker switch, which is what the Daystar switches are. I've already looked into the Daystar panel, but it won't work in the'11 JK because of a little coin tray beneath that panel in front of the shifter.

Looking for suggestion on where to mount in. Show me what ya' got!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the Simple Solutions thing that mounts on top of the dash that's like $400+? I like the idea, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash just for somewhere to mount a switch or two for lights, etc. I could use that for something much better than that. I will admit, though, it looks cool as hell!

·
Registered
54 Posts
it mounts above the rear view mirror and is a lot more than just a place for switches you should go to the spod website and look at it well worth the money

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, that's not what I was thinking of. And I actually like that better. But still won't work in my current set-up. I have a radar detector above the rearview mirror.

*flame suit on*

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
pricey yes at first glance, but when you install it and get rid of whatever wiring mess you had, you will quickly appreciate it. Just wish I had one for my yj, that is one horrible mess of wires. I held off wiring anything up on the JK until I got the spod. It is so easy to add stuff and troubleshoot if ever needed. Plus they probably have the best customer service of anyone I have ever dealt with. There will still be room for your radar detector as well.

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
Are you looking for a switch panel or just a place to put the one switch? Rugged Ridge is *suppose* to be coming out in Feb. with a (IMO) cool bank on the drivers side window panel. Also, 12voltguy.com has some awesome (repeat, awesome) looking ones - different sizes (switch capability) meant to mount in different areas.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
where did you get your switch decals Dirty? those look better than the ones that came with the spod

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, right now just looking to mount a single switch. I'm wanting to install my lights this evening, but it may be better to wire up a temporary switch and figure out a more permanent solution later.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yeah, right now just looking to mount a single switch. I'm wanting to install my lights this evening, but it may be better to wire up a temporary switch and figure out a more permanent solution later.
S-pod and call it a day. Take it from someone that made their own version of it... John and his products are the best of the best. P.S. when you finally get one, tell him the tupperware man sent you... :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Drill a hole in the dash and mount the switch there.

S-pod and call it a day. Take it from someone that made their own version of it... John and his products are the best of the best. P.S. when you finally get one, tell him the tupperware man sent you... :D
I looked at it at first and bawked at the price as well. I still think most of the crap out there for our JKs is overpriced but this one product in particular is very well thought out and very well made. The switch bezel alone is a great fit, the Carling rocker switches they use can't be bought singly for very cheap. Then the printed circuit board, relays and well thought our wiring. Given what they have in this and the low volumes they are churning out the pricing is reasonable. I work in automotive and I am very particular about this stuff and this is the first product I've seen that looks like it was meant to be there from the start.

Don't get me wrong, 12volt guy makes some great stuff too, but the SPOD looks OEM.

But if all you EVER need is 1 switch then just wire it up in the dash. If you ever think you might need more then get the spod and you'll save a lot of time and headache later. You can pull the switches out and they make cheap plastic covers for the holes that you can get from the same guys that sell the printed switch covers.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Drill a hole in the dash and mount the switch there.

But if all you EVER need is 1 switch then just wire it up in the dash. If you ever think you might need more then get the spod and you'll save a lot of time and headache later. You can pull the switches out and they make cheap plastic covers for the holes that you can get from the same guys that sell the printed switch covers.
That's what I did when I wired mine. :smokin:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really wanted an Spod, but after dropping $5k for lift and PSC stuff, and getting ready to buy tires it just wasn't in the budget! So I picked up $20 worth of switches at Auto Zone and hit up my project box for some wires. Here is what I came up with....

These will handle my windshield lights, rock lights, plus I ran an extra for whatever comes up next.

The switches look slightly different color plastic in the picture, but not in person.
Davesrb

1 - 20 of 33 Posts