JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the Autometer gauge pods? How well does the plastic match the OEM plastic? In the pics, I does not look like a very good match - it looks like that cheap black plastic stuff from the 1970s.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the Auto Meter A Pillar gauge mount. Texture isn't a perfect match to the stock plastic, but it's decent. Color match is close enough not to be obnoxious. Only downside about the A Pillar mount I've noticed is that it slightly impedes the windshield defrosting - think it blocks the vent just enough to let a little extra interior fog build up in very cold temps.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have it as well, it doesn't feel as substantive as the JK plastic, but it's good enough, gets the job done and the color is close enough to where you don't notice.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
it may sound a bit off-kilter but in comparing those plastic textures in those images R0ck supplied where the textures are highly detailed, I am pretty confident that , if my OCD were utterly frayed by the subtle yet obvious difference between the uniform patterned OEM plastics and the rougher, textured AutoMeter PODs "rough-rock like"texture that, from the looks of the stock pattern I could take some low-gloss, Satin Krylon for Plastic Black spray paint , sand the mounting pod a bit , prep it+clean it right and on about the 3rd light coat of the paint ,lay it into/onto a t-shirt tightly and with pattern slightly diagonal to the pod [alignment when installed] direction while wet and slowly peel it off leaving a smaller, more uniform and cross hatched-like pattern on it's surface than what is already there. But, it probably wouldn't bug me that much ...[yeah, it would]

I bet those side vents with the lower gauge blocking the defroster flow enough to result in turbulence-causing the defroster air direction just enough interruption. there is no plastic on the AutoMeter that runs down and under the front defrost vents running parallel along windshield , are there? you mean the side defrost vents visible in picture 2 , i think?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to add that screw in on the OEM panel just above the AutoMeter Panel?

I have the later dash so the side vents are actually on the side of the dash and would not be obstructed at all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bet those side vents with the lower gauge blocking the defroster flow enough to result in turbulence-causing the defroster air direction just enough interruption. there is no plastic on the AutoMeter that runs down and under the front defrost vents running parallel along windshield , are there? you mean the side defrost vents visible in picture 2 , i think?
Yep, I think the lower gauge is the defrosting issue culprit. It sticks out enough that its over the side vent and likely interrupting the intended air flow. Its a minor annoyance until the windshield fully warms up, but nothing that makes for unsafe visibility. Still, one of those things that's nice for someone to give you a heads up about.

Did you have to add that screw in on the OEM panel just above the AutoMeter Panel?.
If I'm recalling correctly, a hole had to be added for the small screw on the outer side of the a-pillar to help secure the new panel. The fit of the panel is pretty snug on mine, so you might be able to get away without that additional screw, but I figured it ensures everything stays in place.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have it as well, it doesn't feel as substantive as the JK plastic, but it's good enough, gets the job done and the color is close enough to where you don't notice.
^^^what he said. I have the same. Noticed when I installed, haven't noticed since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts