JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm about a half hour from you, near Cranberry Twp.

I have 37" tires and 4.88 gears, currently use the SuperChips FlashCal to correct for gearing and tire changes.

I do also see the odd gear hang issue while going up the steep western PA hills, where your nearly at redline and the trans will not shift even if you let off the throttle. I assumed it was that the output shaft load transducers, accelerometers and gyroscopic sensors "see" that I am on a hill, under load... and they forbid the shift due to an out of calibration issue. That assumption is because the issue is not there while on stock tires and gears.
You need a flashpaqs instead of the flashcal. I'm not on 37's but couple guys I know are with 37's and the flashpaqs does a lot better tuning than the flashcal, a lot more options and you can adjust shift points. I am on 35's and 3:73 gears on mine and I haven't felt the need for regearing with the flashpaqs. I adjusted mine properly,got my shift points right and I burn around 2200 RPMs at 79-80 mph. In the mountain regions, smokey mountains of NC, I can still climb steep hills and only be around 3500 RPMs, that's on a JKU auto trans. IMHO if your running 33's or less the flashcal is a good buy but if your over 33's the flashpaqs really works tons better for your setup.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Any updates? Reviews? I have a 2014 with a RIPP and the shifting from 2-3 is terrible. It holds in 2nd until you let off or give it full throttle to redline and then shifts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any updates? Reviews? I have a 2014 with a RIPP and the shifting from 2-3 is terrible. It holds in 2nd until you let off or give it full throttle to redline and then shifts.
I guess I should update my experience with the OST tcm.

When I installed the Edelbrock Supercharger, the transmission would hold onto gears unless I lifted my foot off the gas pedal for the trans to shift. It is a known issue with superchargers and the 5 spd auto. I decided to give the OST tcm a shot because I had not seen any other solution other than removing the supercharger.

The program on the first tcm I received shifted way better than stock. The only issue was that the trans shifted too early. I sent the tcm back in and Mike reflashed it with an updated program. The second program had perfect shift points, but the shift firmness was a little too harsh for my liking. I sent the tcm back in for an adjustment. The third program was near perfect. The shift points were perfect (no hanging onto any of the gears) and the shift firmness was perfect except at WOT, where it was still a little too firm for me. Now I was about 95% satisfied and didn't feel like sending the tcm out again for another adjustment. I know Mike would've made the adjustment so I'd be 100% satisfied. All in all I will say that the OST tcm solved the shifting issues I was having and I would recommend this product if you are having shifting issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TCM impact on the dyno

@ostmike - Does replacing the TCM also allow the Jeep to go beyond second gear on the dyno? That was one of the issues we were hitting when trying to tune my '15 JKUR with the Edelbrock supercharger setup - we couldn't get it to shift into 3rd, even with the autostick.

·
Vendor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@ostmike - Does replacing the TCM also allow the Jeep to go beyond second gear on the dyno? That was one of the issues we were hitting when trying to tune my '15 JKUR with the Edelbrock supercharger setup - we couldn't get it to shift into 3rd, even with the autostick.
We've tuned quite a few of these on our dyno both in 4wd and 2wd. we did not run into the issue you are describing. The primary purpose of the TCM modification is to correct the shift points. We can also change the shift firmness if desired. Some folks want firmer shifts and some do not. Included with the TCM purchase is 3 free revisions as long as you cover the shipping.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Any experience with tuning shifting for a Maggie or Edelbrock ACed JK? With those I hear "it's making great power but won't shift right" or "now it's shifting right but it's not much of a power gain now".

·
Registered
364 Posts
Any experience with tuning shifting for a Maggie or Edelbrock ACed JK? With those I hear "it's making great power but won't shift right" or "now it's shifting right but it's not much of a power gain now".
I'd be interested to know this. My Magnusson SC'd auto sticks unless I lift to shift. Will drop power if I hold it down at redline. Not a huge deal if you know it.

I'm Diablo tuned with Superchips Flashcal on top to tune for 5.38 gears with 60tooth tone rings:

Diablo
- Supercharger Magnusson Tune (thinking of taking it to a dyno for tune as I also have a high altitude pulley)
- Swaybar - Enabled
- Foglights - Disabled
- Cooling Fans On - 184.99 ECT
- TPMS - Disabled
FlashCal
- Axle Ratio - 4.66 (Really 5.38) (for tone ring count difference)
- Tire Size - 34 (Really 41.5) (to match gps speed with tone ring count difference)
- TC Low Ratio - 4.3:1
- Reads more codes than Diablo

·
Registered
570 Posts
What are the chances you can tune a 2013 to always use whatever gear the autostick is set to and completely ignore limp mode?

It's a trail only rig and this would be really nice.

I guess I could get around to fixing my intermittent tone ring issues.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What are the chances you can tune a 2013 to always use whatever gear the autostick is set to and completely ignore limp mode?

It's a trail only rig and this would be really nice.

I guess I could get around to fixing my intermittent tone ring issues.
Great question. I guess OP isn't around anymore.

·
Registered
439 Posts
They aren't hard to find if you know how to type.

"Home Page - Online Store" Home Page - Online Store

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts