JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I got a question... I tried to search but found no results for my problem. I have an 09 JK with just over 53k miles on it. I am the 2nd Owner. Recently, it has began to makes a whining/zipper sound when the trans shifts in to 2nd gear.. If you come to a complete stop and manual shift the trans it does the same thing. The sound is coming from around the bellhousing/converter area. I'm pretty handy around the wrenches just not sure where to start in diagnosing on this one.. Any ideas from my fellow jeepers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the fluid and filter has been changed regularly. And the fluid level is full.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Just using logic here - since it centers around a particular gear and not all of them, i'd assume the sound is coming from inside the transmission and could be a worn gear. It's possible the previous owner used that gear a lot while wheeling and put a lot of load on it causing it to wear more than others. If it was a worn bearing(s) or other component it would be more likely that you'd hear that noise at different RPM's and different load conditions in different gears. Kind of an odd one. I'd shove a GoPro or a Contour under there and drive it for a few hours to see if you can determine exactly where the noise is coming from and under what conditions it is happening under.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! Starting today it has started making the sound as it shifts into overdrive.. It's the same exact sound just not as loud. The previous owners didn't wheel.. They were 70 year old hippies.. I met them at the dealership. They were getting their first oil change on their new JK..

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Maybe they just drove around in second gear? LoL Not sure man, you have to do some more investigation, maybe add a couple of magnets to the oil pan and check for metal debris.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
Shift into first then second with the auto trans and listen for the noise. See when it's the worst.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine had a whining noise right before the tranny went out. Didnt have it at all, took it into dealer for other warranty work, got it back with the noise, took it back in and they said my tranny was failing. Pulled an oil sample and found metal but mine was a 2012 which is a different tranny one that I got told "doesn't fail until over 200k" good luck and hopefully that isnt the issue.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
if its whining at all... similar to what you hear when a power steering pump is low on fluid or has air in the line... bad things are afoot.

first thing i'd do it drop the pan and check the fluid for contamination. then check to make sure the filter is properly installed. if so. you're looking at either a rebuild, or buying a used transmission.

when you hear a whining noise, that is usually from the pump. not a good sign.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
For years mine has made a whining noise when cold and ambient temps are below about 50 degrees F. Became noticeable when I swapped out the stock t-case cable for the Advance Adapters unit, which mounts metal on metal to the side of the trans. We determined it most likely to be the internal oil cooler bypass, as once it warmed up the noise was gone. Never gets worse, never changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight folks... My '09 was an early model and the lifetime warranty expired with the first owner trading it in.. I am taking it to a good transmission shop that I know on Friday... Maybe he can help me out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This tranny shop I have done business with before and he told me right up front that he doesn't mess with those 42RLEs he only replaces them.. Honesty goes a long way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts