JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to doing the Aussie yesterday. Went off without a hitch except for the fact that I left the locker 30 miles from where we did the install:pissed:.

60 miles and a few hours later, all was good.
Thanks to my buddy Jared and our paint shop, would not have happened without them, and a big thanks to Scott, who's write up we followed.

Various pics......

After the paint. Did the cover in teflon black, we use it up at work on radomes and thrust reversers. Silver is Rustoleum metallic silver. And yes, the masking was a PITA.

Cover off, ready to pull the carrier.

Carrier apart, ready for the Aussie.

Back together.

All done.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The job looks so fast in pictures!!

Good job man, cover looks good. I am happy with the Aussie in mine :beer: :beer:

BTW, noticed the marks on the ujoints! I really think everybody that has not tacked thier caps should do that

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The job looks so fast in pictures!!

Good job man, cover looks good. I am happy with the Aussie in mine :beer: :beer:

BTW, noticed the marks on the ujoints! I really think everybody that has not tacked thier caps should do that
LOL, I wish it went that fast. I'm curious as to how the paint will hold up.

Yeah, I thought about tacking the caps, but didn't want to burn any grease up. I opted for the torque stripe method instead. They all looked really good, knock on wood. Thanks again for the great write up.

BTW, what was your measurements? My shaft to axle was .011 to .012, and my inter cam was about .135, about .010 below the recommended min. Damn, those thrust washers are strong!!!

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I'm curious as to how the paint will hold up.

I coated mine with a couple coats of Ceramic clear and threw it in the oven to harden it as per the instructions.

It is supposed to make it heat AND chemical resistant once hardened. So far it has held up great, even to diff fluid spills. I highly recomend it.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
BTW, what was your measurements? My shaft to axle was .011 to .012, and my inter cam was about .135, about .010 below the recommended min. Damn, those thrust washers are strong!!!
I do not remember exactly what my measurments were. I belive that they are in the email conversation with Aussie in the write up thread.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

I do know that they were much tighter then the toloreance specs supplied with the locker. This was due to the thrust washers being thicker then the TJ and the cupped shape. Speaking with Aussie they said they like the d30 being set up tight anyway as they have had SOME issues with it unlocking on the TJ. They suspected the JK washers with thier cupped shape would relax over time.

I noticed no changes till somewhere around 4k miles later. Now that they have relaxed they are perfect and rarley "pop" when they unlock turning sharp corners now. BE prepared to have some popping turning sharply in parking lots for a while. FWIW, I have never had it slip or unlock on me so I nthink they are just right.

EDIT: Here was what I had

wtf_lol form email with aussie said:
For the Pinion gap, with the unit at rest it was less then 0. I had to spread the unit apart to even get the pinion shaft in. Once it was in, at rest it was pushed against the shaft, spread apart (so thrust washer was flat) I was roughly ~.010. The gauge I had was not as specific as I would have wanted it to be but it was enough to tell if I was within tolerance. For the Cam gear gap, I didn't make a note of what ti was at rest but it was tighter then the tolerance alowed, I remember doing the math and figuring out that at rest the TJ thrust washers would be to loose. I am surprised to hear that you where at .135 with the JK washers and spread apart, it seems that is about where I was with it at rest with the JK washers. I will have to find my notes but it seems I was at about roughly .155 with the JK washers and spread open.
looks like Aussie also had .135 on thier test fit. I think that is also about what mine was at rest

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
oh, and one last thing...Was your carier a pain in the arse to get out and back in?

Mine was tight as hell...I suppose that is a good thing. In my XJ it practically fell out after a tap or two with the pry bar

·
Registered
8,652 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not remember exactly what my measurments were. I belive that they are in the email conversation with Aussie in the write up thread.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

I do know that they were much tighter then the toloreance specs supplied with the locker. This was due to the thrust washers being thicker then the TJ and the cupped shape. Speaking with Aussie they said they like the d30 being set up tight anyway as they have had SOME issues with it unlocking on the TJ. They suspected the JK washers with thier cupped shape would relax over time.

I noticed no changes till somewhere around 4k miles later. Now that they have relaxed they are perfect and rarley "pop" when they unlock turning sharp corners now. BE prepared to have some popping turning sharply in parking lots for a while. FWIW, I have never had it slip or unlock on me so I nthink they are just right.

EDIT: Here was what I had

looks like Aussie also had .135 on thier test fit. I think that is also about what mine was at rest
Well, looks like we all got the same measurements, I feel better about it now.

oh, and one last thing...Was your carier a pain in the arse to get out and back in?

Mine was tight as hell...I suppose that is a good thing. In my XJ it practically fell out after a tap or two with the pry bar
Nope, one good tug and it came right out. Wonder why yours was so tight?

·
Registered
314 Posts
the tolerance when manufacturing the cases is pretty loose, so sometimes you need a case spreader. No big deal really. cover looks tight :smokin:
Let us know how that ceramic sealer works. I would like to see it on the back as the back gets hotter. Doesn't that make it impossible to touch up though. Just don't hit any rocks :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts