JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have my first offspring arriving in January and my birthday is in November...mamma says to pick out a nice new camera for my birthday. I want to move up to a digital SLR that's capable of shooting video for moments that pics don't even explain! I mostly shoot outdoors but obviously birthday parties are going to start to be popular for a human that can't feed itself for a while....so interior shots need to be good as well.

so I've narrowed down to these 3 cameras...

Cannon EOS Rebel T1i...yes there is a T2i but its out of my price range

Nikon D5000

Pentax K-X

If anyone has experience with these models I'd love to hear your experience. I'm leaning more towards the Cannon but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Can't go wrong with the EOS Rebel- however, you might want to check out this site. This will give you the most feedback on all of these DSLR's.

www.digitalcamerareview.com

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I'm a canon person...
But I'll say canon or nikon. Never been a fan of pentax. I went canon, because when I got mine, they were the ones making their own sensors.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the EOS T2i and I absolutely LOVE it. I shot with the original Rebel for years and years, and the T2i blows it away.

I have some time behind a Canon 7D as well, and quite frankly, the T2i is more than enough for an avid weekend photog like me. The T1i is the one I would go with.

I said that, to say this... I am a Canon fan. I have Canon glass... however, the Nikon Glass is amazing. Just shop around, read the reviews... and make the decision you can go with. You can find very good deals on the T2i right now... I got mine for $805 WITH the 18-55mm IS lens. I wound up selling my old Rebel and it's 18-55 for $250, so I was only out a few hundred bones.

It's a GREAT camera!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Caveat... I warn you... the addiction is about to begin. Make sure you get yourself some dedicated hard drives, take some photoshop classes, and shoot in .raw format. Trust me on that. The T2i / T1i are very forgiving, and you can really grow with that platform. I find their menu's very intuitive, and it's a body you can use for years to come.

Invest in a good strobe... and a good mid level zoom later on, and you can't go wrong. Welcome to the world of DSLR... you can really do some amazing things with these "low" level cameras these days.

What sold me on the Canon, was it's metering ability. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the older DSLR's.

Do a comparison between the T1i and the T2i and make an informed decision. Either body, you will enjoy!

·
Registered
258 Posts
rebel!
i have one and its my favorite :)
mines the older xti i've had it for about four years and i wouldn't trade it...

my friends have nikons and there are many little things that make the canon better IMO

here is my flickr, MOST pictures are my canon, if you want check it out to see the quality...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelfuck/

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the Pentax KD-20 and like it. I went with that because I have had a Pentax since college and didn't want to re-buy $2000.00 worth of lenses. But I think it takes great pictures. I need to take a class on the digital though so I can get better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMHO

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but the best camera to use is the one you will carry with you. I have worked as a photographer and for years carried everything from the Nikon to Hassleblad always with multiple lenses. Now I carry a simple digital point and shoot on my belt all the time. If you do not have it handy and ready to go you will not get the shot.:)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but the best camera to use is the one you will carry with you. I have worked as a photographer and for years carried everything from the Nikon to Hassleblad always with multiple lenses. Now I carry a simple digital point and shoot on my belt all the time. If you do not have it handy and ready to go you will not get the shot.:)
No one wants to carry around a camera in their fanny pack....:grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
the best camera to use is the one you will carry with you
That's probably the best advice here. You may also want to think about what you primarily will be photographing and any accessories you may want. I do a lot of outdoor photography and have a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. I love the thing. I chose it for some specific reasons.

I had an older Olympus all-in-one for a long time but after missing out on too many shots I decided it was time for an upgrade. Immediate shutter response when I pushed the button and a higher power telephoto lens where my main concerns.

I missed some good shots of glaciers calving into the water because the Olympus had a delay when I pushed the button. Not so with the Canon. I also missed a lot of wildlife pictures because I couldn't get close enough with even the lens that comes with the Canon. My first accessory was a 70-300mm image stabilized lens. It solved the zoom problem I had, but it also cost more that the camera. Too me it has been money well spent.

My next accessory will probably be a nice wide angle lens, maybe something like a 14mm. I also have been wanting a lensbaby so I might get it instead. I also bout a cheap light tent and flashes for $45 on ebay.

I also bought nice little Nikon coolpix camera for fishing. I'm not about to risk damage to my expensive setup. It works great for keeping in my wader chest pocket. Plus they make inexpensive little plastic bag things you can shoot through to prevent water damage.

Some good advice I was given by a professional photographer was to buy cheap clear or ND filters for my lenses. It's a lot less expensive to replace a $35-$45 filter if I scratch it rather than the whole lens.

One of my favorite online places to buy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

They usually have some good deals and are much cheaper than places like Ritz/Wolf.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've got the Nikon D90-LOVE IT!!
X2... my favorite camera ever! My mom has the canon rebel and I don't like it as much but its just preference. I'm a Nikon person.

I have to agree with this. As much as I love my D90 its kind of a pain to lug around. I've been looking into getting a smaller digital as well so that I can get pictures of the family and stuff quickly. Then I use my D90 for shots that I set up and stuff I know I'm going to edit.

So between the ones you have I vote for the Nikon. But if you're wanting pics of your family get a nice, high megapixel, point and shoot digital. My $.02.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For personal business I shoot Sports so for me Canon has the best range of long lenses. For my day job I photograph people and use Nikon because that is what is supplied. Both cameras are good can't go wrong with either but for longer lenses Canon will give you more options at a better price.
BTW I also carry around a Canon G10 for those times when I don't feel like carrying around a big camera bag full of crap..

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I tend to agree with Holyroller... it's not just having the camera with you, but after dropping $1,000+ on a camera I'm a bit leary of taking it Jeep'n with me. The trails tend to be VERY dusty or muddy. My wife has a Nikon D90 and I don't like take it out. If she were to have it in a case and jump out to actions shots... okay, but most of the time its me and my two boys. I don't have extra hands to carry such a camera, watch the boys, AND watch the camera.

I've been looking at a Canon PowerShot S95 10.1MP Digital Camera. Has anyone had any experence? I read good reviews and it is a Canon, but what I like most about it, the only reason I came to this camera it its HDR feature:

• High Dynamic Range--takes three shots, of the same scene, in different exposures in succession and combines all three images together to capture an image with flattering shadows and highlights. Tripod is required.

Any comments?

Reviews... 4.5/5stars, 109 reviews...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729876-REG/Canon_4343B001_PowerShot_S95_Digital_Camera.html

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've been looking at a Canon PowerShot S95 10.1MP Digital Camera. Has anyone had any experence? I read good reviews and it is a Canon, but what I like most about it, the only reason I came to this camera it its HDR feature:

• High Dynamic Range--takes three shots, of the same scene, in different exposures in succession and combines all three images together to capture an image with flattering shadows and highlights. Tripod is required.

Any comments?

Reviews... 4.5/5stars, 109 reviews...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729876-REG/Canon_4343B001_PowerShot_S95_Digital_Camera.html
I like all the Powershot series cameras and use a Canon powershot G10 as my quick shooter. That being said Any camera is better, then to not have a camera at all. If you're going to use it awesome, but I wouldn't base a camera purchase solely on an HDR feature. Doing proper HDR does require a tripod and as cool as it is for the camera to do it for you, it can be done in a number of good computer programs at home later. Carrying a tripod around is a PITA and I doubt you'll use it much out on the trail. But do look for one that has good video capability..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Whatever you do go with, do your research first. 15 years ago I went with a Minolta SLR. Over the years I built up a bit of inventory of Minolta accessories (which weren't very interchangable with the other platforms). Minolta sold out to Sony, so now I shoot an Alpha DSLR, mainly because it works with most of my old stuff. HOWEVER, Sony's accessories are mostly proprietary, and slightly higher priced than the Canon or Nikon counterparts. So I will be the first to tell you NOT to buy the camera I use. :D

I will however, echo the sentiments above. The best camera you can use is the one you will have on you and you will use. Unless I know I am going to something like a wedding or birthday party where I know I will be getting some good shots in, I leave my DSLR at home and shoot with my iPhone 4. Seriously. I can shoot a bunch of shots and have them uploaded to Facebook and Photobucket before I leave the event, and they are geotagged, to boot. Then I stick the phone back in my pocket and enjoy what I am doing, without lugging around a backpack full of crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts