JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. This past trip out to hot springs arkansas I discovered 3 things.

1. I need rear corner armor. Dented my driver side good enough I had to take a hammer to it just so I could get the door to close. Also tore off passenger side tail light and dented it as well.

2. I need some gear the 2.72 with a 6 speed is not cutting It for me. Even though I have 5.13 in the diffs it's still causing me to stall the jeep and ride the clutch on technical stuff. I would really like to get a atlas 2 or 4 speed.

3. I need a little more wheelbase. There was not one thing in hot springs I tried and didn't make but some took a little more effort than others. TIRES also play a big role in this. If I stretch it I will use the Rockkrawler 5.5 8" stretch with there Coilovers.

I can't afford to do both at the same time. Do I install a atlas and some PSC corner armor like these?

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK-2-Door-Rear-Crusher-Corners-p/17-04-020.htm

Or do I stretch it now and do comp corners?

Either way it goes after my 37s wear out I'll be going to 39.5 blue label krawlers I'm running a 1 ton drive train so that's not a consern for me.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
No rubi crawler for the 6 speed.

I would get the atlas. Your right, crawling trchnical stuff with a 2.7 tcase, even with 5.13 gears (I have the same combo); can suck balls at times. Its damn near impossible to do super steep, stop and go crawls and be in control, esp accompanied with a shitty ebrake and no hill assist.

An auto swap sounds better and better everyday

· Registered
2,535 Posts

I would get the atlas. Your right, crawling trchnical stuff with a 2.7 tcase, even with 5.13 gears (I have the same combo); can suck balls at times. Its damn near impossible to do super steep, stop and go crawls and be in control, esp accompanied with a shitty ebrake and no hill assist.

Agreed. Auto is sounding much better.

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm thinking a atlas 4 speed would make me not want a auto.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
I suppose if you're set on an Atlas, get that. I have a 4:1 case with a 6spd and 4.88s..it does pretty well on the slow stuff. Or Get a 4:1 case and put some $$ toward something else for now.

I feel for anyone that wheels a 6spd with a 2.72 case :lol:

· Registered
2,898 Posts
Do the Atlas. Low gears make rock crawling so much easier, and easier on parts. I have a 5/1 Atlas in my TJ, and rarely even use the gas pedal on technical sections. Just ease out the clutch, and when it starts to bite, ease off the brake and crawl. Gearing is so important, I've already added a Rubicon t-case to my JK Sport. That might be another option for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Ron

· Registered
71 Posts
I seen a Rubi case with less then 1000 miles (believe it was on here) for 600. Then comp cut and stretch. If you still believe you need more gearing options get an atlas down the road and sell the Rubi transfer case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I would get a used rubii tcase. That should give you plenty of gearing.

It is something that is at the top of my modlist next to lockers. I feel your pain blacklady. But I would consider yourself lucky being that you have a 2012 and hill assist, for offroad purposes at least. I dont, and at times it can get pretty sketchy!

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Do the Atlas. Low gears make rock crawling so much easier, and easier on parts. I have a 5/1 Atlas in my TJ, and rarely even use the gas pedal on technical sections. Just ease out the clutch, and when it starts to bite, ease off the brake and crawl. Gearing is so important, I've already added a Rubicon t-case to my JK Sport. That might be another option for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Ron
So the gearing is enough to where say you are at a decent incline stopped on top of an obstacle, w/ one foot on the clutch one on the brake. You can release the clutch while still holding the brake and it wont stall out on you?

· Registered
2,898 Posts
So the gearing is enough to where say you are at a decent incline stopped on top of an obstacle, w/ one foot on the clutch one on the brake. You can release the clutch while still holding the brake and it wont stall out on you?
When you feel the clutch engaging, you start easing off the brake, no gas required. You will start creeping forward. Even up steep hills or over large rocks. Makes driving a stick a piece of cake. Much better control coming down steep inclines, and dropping off ledges as well.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
When you feel the clutch engaging, you start easing off the brake, no gas required. You will start creeping forward. Even up steep hills or over large rocks. Makes driving a stick a piece of cake. Much better control coming down steep inclines, and dropping off ledges as well.
Yep

· Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't think the brakes will work with 11.7 lol.

· It never ends...
2,904 Posts
In addition to all the other good things posted about the atlas, is the ability to do front dig--more maneuverability. You might even avoid needing a wheelbase stretch.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I need a rubi tcase. Badly. My crawl ratio now is at 65:1...not to bad but...certainly not ideal for the rocks

· Registered
3,115 Posts
Depends on where you wheel.

If you're in the dry regions of the US then yah the lower gearing the better because your tires dont just spin on those dry, super grippy rocks. If you wheel on the east coast where a majority of the rocks are covered in mud, moss, dead plant material (leaves etc) then you want more wheel speed to keep momentum. You can gear too low on the east here. Ive seen it.

Typically a 4:1 tcase is about the lowest you see most people run that do the more difficult terrain here.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.