JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We put an Atlas II in our 2 dr X model. IT has 4.88 gears, 6 spd and 35 " tires so we chose a 5.0 ratio. Overall the install was pretty straigt forward. The only problems will be what to do with the drivelines. We already had the JE Reel bolt in drivelines so I figured out a way to put everything together without having to lengthen or shorten them.

Here is the new unit ready for installation.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I used the stock JK front yoke on the rear of the atlas, I don't remember why I didn't use the rear one, but it does have that damper on it. With the stock yoke on the rear of the atlas, it is very close to the length of the stock JK t-case so the rear driveline bolted in.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To use the stock JK front yoke on the atlas I had to remove the dust seal/slinger from the yoke. Also the JK pinion nut had a much larger flange than the atlas one, and it needs it. I had to use a washer under the atlas pinion nut.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The front yoke of the Atlas is further forward than the JK one so the driveline needs to be shorter. I used a standard 1310 CV yoke you can get with the atlas and removed the JK yoke adapter from the JE Reel drive shaft and the drive line bolted up without shortening.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The atlas JK install requires a cable shifter, they have a special JK shifter for this. It was easy and straight forward. The cables go through the hole where the stock shifter cable went through the floor. There was some minor trimming to the console for the shifter handles but over all a clean install.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice writeup! You had a chance to test it out yet?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice writeup! You had a chance to test it out yet?

We have had it in since late May, it has been through the Rubicon both ways 3 times. It works great, really glad to have the 5.0 with the 6 spd. I haven't driven it much though, Dave (PIG) has used it most, for some reason he thinks its OK to do front digs with a dana 30 and 35" Krawlers.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Very NICE! :bounce:

I want to be there for the subsequent :nuke: of a D30 doing a front dig. :laughing:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughing: Yep, I'm thinking shiat will be a flying!
I did put together a super 30 with ARB and chromoly shafts a while ago, I'll do a write up on that when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Dave (PIG) has used it most, for some reason he thinks its OK to do front digs with a dana 30 and 35" Krawlers.
I personally saw him do a few front digs on Jeeper's Jamboree...I ducked behind a tree everytime he did it, but nothing ever let loose! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I personally saw him do a few front digs on Jeeper's Jamboree...I ducked behind a tree everytime he did it, but nothing ever let loose! :laughing:
I need to put a cutting brake in there as the e-brake just isn't cutting it..... Rear digs would be cool too!!

Edit: (pun intended.)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Think a 4 speed atlas with a shorty output would fit? I noticed that you didn't have to use the speedo-hole at all?
I was told that the shorty doesn't have the bearings it would need to be in a DD. They would be shot in just a couple hundred miles so I got the normal length Atlas II 4spd. I am going to install it here real soon so I will post up results.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think a 4 speed atlas with a shorty output would fit? I noticed that you didn't have to use the speedo-hole at all?
The JK does not use a speedo gear/sensor in the t-case like the TJ, it uses the ABS sensors at the wheels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
God I hate you......................well maybe not hate, but envy, the 4:1 rubi is nice but that twin stick 5:1 with 4.88 will be nice. I saw a 6:1 out there somewhere. what will your crawl ration be with that set up, i cant remember the formula.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts