JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been fighting a pesky steering wheel shimmy for many months and was just about at wits end. I had tried tightening every bolt I could find, installed a Poly Trackbar brace for good measure, had a couple alignments, rebalanced tires, the list goes and still it continued.

Well Tuesday I finally said to hell with it and went to Discount Tire to see about having my 35" MTRs warrantied. Fortunately I had the extended warranty certificates and DT was very cool about replacing the MTRs. I did not want a repeat performance so I went with 315/70/17 DuraTracs instead and I couldn't have done it at a better time to test them out. Colorado got hit with a winter storm last night that dumped 10+ inches around Boulder/Denver. I had to drive back to Boulder from Fourplyn's in Denver last night and the DuraTracs performed AMAZING in the snow. Barely a slip to speak of from a dead stop and I was cruising comfortably by traffic that was crawling.

Obligatory new tire photo :)

I also picked up a Fox Racing 2.0" Factory Performance Series Steering Stabilizer, and installed that last night with Fourplyn. I know lots of guys aren't into the pricier stabilizer options, but with a long drive to Texas ahead of me in the coming month I figured anything to firm up the steering was welcome. It's a hell of a lot bigger than the stock stabilizer, definitely firmed up steering, and so far no unwanted push left or right. Installed in the stock location for now, nothing to exciting to see there, plus it's already covered in last nights snow and slop. Plan to relocate with parts from Poly when I'm back from Texas.

Comparison photo for now

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Do you think your shimmy was the result of one of the MT/R's? I know they sometimes have balance issues. Did you try having them balanced, moved front to back...

Just curious. I have the MT/R's and really love them, much more than my old Duratracs but I do have a very slight shimmy at around 45 mph or so. I have attributed it to the MT/R's just not getting perfectly balanced.

I bought them at Kauffman Tire and got the warranty and lifetime balance so i plan to have them re-balanced soon.

:beer:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir, I had them rebalanced multiple times. Two of those were even Road Force balance attempts. Tried moving front to back too and still the shimmy stuck around. Whether it was a single tire to blame or multiple, I'm not sure. To be honest I was out of patience with the issue, and I'm glad to have new tires and no more shimmy. I will say though, shimmy aside, I did like the MTRs but given how well the DuraTracs have performed in the snow last night and today I don't regret the change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts