JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Artec skid plate system into a 2012+ Manual transmission JK? I have the manual transmission nutstrip that is supposed to "slide" into the crossmember. I have no idea how it slides into the crossmember without bending it or cutting it.

Has anyone done this install and can offer any answer on how it works? I am stuck on the install.

·
Registered
656 Posts
YouTube is your friend.

I think that Artec sells a crossmember too.

My guess is you’re seeing instructions for the install with their crossmember.

Pretty sure you need to do some drilling and nut zert work if you’re using your factory CM.

This is only a guess on my part.

Kind of a guess, I did look at their kit a year or so ago, and something along those lines is way back in memory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Artec skid plate kit on my 2014 JKU with a manual transmission. Did you purchase a crossmember or are you using the factory cross member?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is straight from Artec. "The bracket JK1010-6 in your bellypan will need a slight modification by removing the press nuts from it that correspond to the press nuts in this bracket nut strip. Then the studs from the transfer case can feed through the holes in the bracket JK1010-6. Clear zinc plated for corrosion resistance."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After finally getting hold of Artec here is what I found out:

1. They don't actually know how to install their own products.
2. YouTube is normally your friend, but not in this case.
3. If you use their crossmember the extra piece must be cut into pieces to fit inside of it.

If you have a manual transmission and don't want to fight with the kit please do not purchase the Artec system.

Their nutserts don't work. I ended up welding them to the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are right this was a difficult install, but there is a reason why it was difficult. It is a high quality product. I have there rock rails as well as there skid plate system. Only thing I had to cut was what the instructions said to cut, which was the gas tank skid plate. I didn't have to cut the manual trans nut strip, I had to drill out one of the nut certs like the instructions said but that's it. It took me several tries to get the nut strip into place, but unfortunately I don't remember how I got it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts