JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for anybody who's:
1. Running larger than 32" tires
2. Running without bump stop extensions (I have an OME lift = No Bump Stop Ext)

I kept tearing off my rear fenders and finally decided to trim the fenders. I'm fine with the look of the stock rear fenders so my goal was to change the look as little as possible.

This mod allows much better access to the plastic factory fender to body fasteners.

I still have a bit of rubbing at the front of the fender, but at least my fenders are now staying attached to the body.

The most important part to remember is to make sure the plastic fender liner continues to overlap the body seam. This helps with keeping mud and dirt out of places that are difficult to clean.

Tools:
Jack that is tall enough to lift the frame
Die Grinder/Cutoff Wheel
Long Steel Ruler
Felt Tip Pen

Parts:
(2) 1/4" X approx. 1" bolts
(2) 1/4" Nuts
(4) 1/4" Fender Washers

To mark the line to cut:
- Lift the rear frame of the JK a couple of inches
- Cut the plywood so that it will fit between the top of the tire and the fender liner
- Hold the steel ruler in place with the plywood
- Slowly and carefully lower the jack so the ruler is held firmly against the fender liner
- Adjust the ruler to assure that the inside part of the fender liner overlaps the body seam
- With the pen, mark the line to be cut
(this might seem like a lot of work just to mark the line, but it doesn't take long and there's not much room to work in there)

Picture from under the rear bumper and over the rear tire, looking up at the overlap of the fender liner, over the body seam.

This shows where I cut the finder liner and where I think is a better spot to cut the fender liner. You can also see where I though bolted the fender to the liner.

At full flex, fenders stay on (sorry no pic of the rear tire being compressed)

Sneak Peak at Woods Fender Trim Part II

·
Registered
314 Posts
You just need to stop wasting your time and get some narrow xenons. :thefinger: I have 0 rubbing after that install. 33's with no bumpstop extenders. My tires still touch the inside fender liner in the back every now and then but at least I don't rip my fenders off. LOL Good thinking though for a cheap easy fix. The fronts look real nice. ;)

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just need to stop wasting your time and get some narrow xenons. :thefinger: I have 0 rubbing after that install. 33's with no bumpstop extenders. My tires still touch the inside fender liner in the back every now and then but at least I don't rip my fenders off. LOL Good thinking though for a cheap easy fix. The fronts look real nice. ;)
Yeah, I dig the narrow Xenons. I gotta sell a bunch more kits to be able to buy a set though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You have the answer to my prayers!!! I have ripped off the rear fenders twice, they just flap in the wind now :shaking: Just gonna have to learn how to use tools :laughing: and I'll be styling like you Woods.

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one.:idea:
Send me your ideas, please :jester:

:jester: Just found this little guy :jester:

So me :jester:

:jester::jester:I'm all about the jester :jester::jester:

What I really need is an absent minded professor smiley :jester:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
JK forum has a more detailed write up of your mod...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
:shaking::shaking::shaking:
No??? Am I mistaken??? Must be another Woods with a similar thread over their...loads of fotos describing a similar mod...must be my bad...:shaking::(...maybe I should prescribe myself an Rx for hallucinations.....

·
Vendor
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JK forum has a more detailed write up of your mod...
I thought that both write-up are pretty much the same. I am a sponsor on both forums.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Woods mod is the best way to go in my book...Free and won't damage the body if they are rubbed hard. Plastic will flex. Steel fenders will transfer forces into the Jeep body. That was the main reason Jeep changed the Fender design.Should I add free again. I got a little more excited with my drimel and cut more off

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm still shaping the edges...They still look unfinished.:beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts