JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put a mechanical (Detroit) locker in my stock diff now with my stock gears, can I re-gear later and use the same locker? Does the locker limit my R&P options?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
there are carrier breaks so yeah a locker will be specific to a RANGE of gears.
IE 2.78 to 3.56 AND 3.73 and up

I was using a CJ dana 30 as an example

What gears are you running now? I THINK the Rubi 44's with 4.10's can go as LOW as they make gears for them. but if you have the 3.XX gears be ready to do gears at the same time....

SOMETHING ELSE to think about.. overall the gears are CHEAP compared to lockers, and I'd hate to see you pay for a locker install and then PAY to have it ALL pulled back out and do gears.... I say save up and do the gears and lockers at the same time. or at least buy the lockers, and then buy gears, and install them AT THE SAME TIME... less $$$ for install's MORE for tires and other parts.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I would need to look into it but I think since the pinion is so much thicker on the JK that it is already in the bigger one. My understanding is even with the smaller gearing you will still be good but, DISCLAIMER: I have not reasearched that so don't go off what I say, lol

so basically, this is the most worthless post so far in this thread, lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this WAS my idea....

Order 09 wrangler X with S23 package and the 3.73:1.

Install Currie tow bar, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Poly swaybar disco, a rear Detroit locker and maybe a 1" BL.

Drive it, tow it, wheel it and enjoy it for a couple of years. Then IF I was needing more, or taking tougher trails, install a full suspension lift 35" tires and 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would advise against a Detroit in the back. Unless it was a limited slip. If I were you I would put a aussie locker up front and call it good. Ground clearance will be the limitng factor on a X. At least that is what I have found out with my spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts