JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ARB covers put on and just noticed the left front "yoke" area wet with fluid. The right side is dry. I can't say it's from the install since I didn't look prior to having it done. I spoke to the folks at ARB about the correct fluid level and he said if it was overfilled it would go down and should stop when it gets to a certain level and should be ok.
Anyone else have this issue? Not really a problem once the level gets down? I do plan on checking the level and adjusting if needed, clean things up and see how that goes. Considered the dealer but thinking they may say no warranty replacement to for the seal since someone has re-done the cover and fluid with a possible overfill.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Can you post a picture, that would help.

If it's leaking out the axle tube it should have nothing to do with the diff cover that was installed.

If too much gear oil was put it, yes, it will go down but the only way it can go down is for some to come out!!! But it would come out your vent tube.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would agree with the overfilled statement. That oil has to go somewhere, and is probably pushing out past the seals. I would keep an eye on it, and if the problem does not go away, I would think new axle seals are needed.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
By "left front" I assume you mean the driver's side. If that's the case, park your Jeep with the passenger's front tire on a curb, a rock or something solid that is at least a foot or more off the ground and leave it like that for a few minutes. Make sure you turn the Jeep off and put your parking brake on before you get out of the Jeep. You want to tilt your front axle to see if fluid comes out the driver's side axle tube. If a lot fluid comes out then you may have a bad inner seal. If nothing comes out, it may have been the breather tube spitting out excess differential fluid all over the place and some happened to land on the inner C, giving the appearance of a leaky inner seal.

You can also open the top fill hole of the ARB cover and stick your finger or a dipstick down into the differential to see up to where it's filled. I've overfilled my diffs several times, but never had fluid come out the axle tubes unless there's a bad seal. Usually it spews out the breather hose and gets it everywhere. Smells horrible too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you post a picture, that would help.

If it's leaking out the axle tube it should have nothing to do with the diff cover that was installed.

If too much gear oil was put it, yes, it will go down but the only way it can go down is for some to come out!!! But it would come out your vent tube.
Pic of the issue

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the seepage fixed...until it blew out again after picking it up. I'm thinking since they have the ARB covers the tech didn't know it should still take the same as stock fluid and put too much in since the add hole is higher. Anybody happen to know the fluid amount to add? I don't have the stock cover to determine level as recommended by ARB so thinking a # would be good until I can get something the covers/measurements.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Got the seepage fixed...until it blew out again after picking it up. I'm thinking since they have the ARB covers the tech didn't know it should still take the same as stock fluid and put too much in since the add hole is higher. Anybody happen to know the fluid amount to add? I don't have the stock cover to determine level as recommended by ARB so thinking a # would be good until I can get something the covers/measurements.

Thanks all
1 3/8's quart front
2 3/8's quart rear

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a common problem with replacement covers. It also happens when you rotate your axle up for a CV driveshaft. Just lower the fluid level to the factory spec and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a common problem with replacement covers. It also happens when you rotate your axle up for a CV driveshaft. Just lower the fluid level to the factory spec and you'll be fine.
There was an issue the firs time with the seals and this last time after going
on a rollback to the dealer; The vent line was just letting the dif. fluid find it's "happy place". Either way, not enough fluid, too much - it's good now and more learned about the new ride.

Thanks all for the info and suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.