JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy of mine and I are thinking about doing some tent camping in the area of the Appalachian trail in the PA or WV area. Anyone know of some decent "rustic" campsites in that area that are open year round. We are looking for somewhere that we can ideally park the JK at or within reasonable distance from the site itself. I havent camped since I was a scout and I am super excited.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
I have hiked quite a bit of it but was in VA NJ and NY. Sections I did would not be what ur looking todo. The camping/lean to spots tend to be far from any roads/parking as i think it keeps the rif raf from trashing em up. Have gone days on the trail without seeing any other people at all. Need to get the kids out there but we don't seem to have any free time anymore. One place we used to hit was GW national forest down in VA. Lots and lots of trails u can wheel. I will pull my maps and see if I can find anything. Not a terrible drive from Jersey.:beer:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ventually I want to get to the point of my hiking ability that I can do section hikes of the AT like you mentioned. A buddy of mine on my crew at work that has hiked sections in the past are looking to spend some of our long weeekends off this summer hiking/camping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hiking the AT

Hey, Dont know bout where you live but I used to hike the AT from Gatlinburg Tenn southward into north Carolina. Course, that was lots of years ago when I was younger. Down that way camping is only at certain locations along the trail. There was usually a lean-to that was bear proof. Camping just anywhere was highly discouraged!!!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I've sectioned the AT thru PA, NJ and NY as well as a few sections in Maine and I have to agree with Craig. Those sites are pretty far off the beaten path to keep the kids from shitting them all up.

My recommendation is head up to the Delaware water gap and hike up to sunfish pond. Or head out to kutztown and hike up thru/to hawk mountain

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
... Camping just anywhere was highly discouraged!!!
I know this is the wrong end of the trail but I hiked southern portions of the trail in Alabama. You were still able to camp anywhere. There is just something wrong with not being able to use PUBLIC land. When I was a kid we would use our atv to drive anywhere and set up camp. Between national forest, land owned by the timber companies, and large private ownership of tracts the only thing we did not do was poach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts