JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so many threads about the 42rle burning up and failing. I tried to search if anyone has ever swapped out for a manual instead of rebuilding or buying a new 42rle. I didn't find anything through searching? So, have any of you tried looking into a swap like that? How much of the wiring will be affected by putting a manual trans in a auto JK? Just looking into the future. Mine shows no signs of giving up yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been curious about this since I blew up the gears in the auto at 28,000 miles. I'm sure you'd need a new computer in addition to all the obvious clutch related components. I'm afraid all the responses you're gonna get wil state to buy one with a manual. That's not an option for me, I'm in it too deep. But, if anyone has any real tech, I'd appreciate it as well.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i know there are a few people that have swapped from manual to auto.. so im sure it can be done...

·
Registered
391 Posts
i know there are a few people that have swapped from manual to auto.. so im sure it can be done...
We are in the process of doing an auto to manual conversion now for a customer
he has blown up three different autos since November. He does have a supercharger and said he does not baby it.
he paid big bucks for HD Aftermarket units and transmission pressure boost electronic programmers and with "500,000 mile warranty" they have not responded or paid any warranty for him.

we are doing this on a 2009 model

I have already converted my 07 from manual to auto
I can tell already that going from auto to manual is more involved with more work and more parts.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LS/HEMI in a JK

We have all of the parts to do the swap, the parts we have are from a 2007.

Trans.
Wiring.
Pedals.
Console.
Clutch, flywheel.
Clutch Master/Slave.
Trans mount.

You will need a computer for your Jeep.

Rewire up backup lights.

$1500.00 for the parts i have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, other than all the hard parts you'll need a computer swap from a manual trans jeep is all that's needed.

JSS,
That $1,500 is for all of the items you listed? If so that's not as bad as I thought for a trans swap. It probably cost close to that for a auto rebuild right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey!

Did you ever end up doing the swap?

I want to do an auto to manual swap aswell. Have for a long time in my 2011 jk.

Trading is not an option as its almost paid off and I have a bucnch of money into it. Plus if the engine ever goes i will swap in a LS as the 6speed works with it ive heard.

Are those all the parts that are needed? Plus a new computer? Any info appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
computer

sorry only thing i can ad here is that i seem to remember that inside the tune file manual or auto is a tick box so i am not sure you need a new pcm but rather a new calibration. perhaps a tuner can chime in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 6 speed from 2007 and older(4.0L) has a longer input shaft that's needed for a ls engine. The newer nsg370 for the 3.8 has a shorter input shaft. So our dreams of a man swap now and a v8 swap later are not to be.

731 Posts
Hey!

Did you ever end up doing the swap?

I want to do an auto to manual swap aswell. Have for a long time in my 2011 jk.

Trading is not an option as its almost paid off and I have a bucnch of money into it. Plus if the engine ever goes i will swap in a LS as the 6speed works with it ive heard.

Are those all the parts that are needed? Plus a new computer? Any info appreciated! thanks!
The JK 6 speed manual will not work with a LS swap. FYI... A 6 speed manual from a TJ can be made to work but they don't hold up to much power and will shit the bed really quick.

731 Posts
Other that the main hard parts you will need some wiring and the manual trans ECU. 07-09 are pretty much interchangeable, 2010 uses different o2 sensors compared to the 07-09 and the 2011 is on its own as it uses a different cruise switch. Pretty much all that is needed on the PCM side is have your VIN number programed into the PCM and it will run the Jeep.

Im pretty sure the reverse lamp wire will have to be added, misc wiring and there may be a few options in the TIPM that will need changed to make it 100%

The hardest part will be pulling the dash and adding the clutch pedal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts