JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife needs new brakes on her JK. it sort of drives through the brakes at stop signs and the front rotors are pretty bad. i'm going to replace them. and i'm suspecting a caliper is sticking (uneven brake pad wear).

The rears need pads, but the rotors are decent. I'll probably cut them...

Anyway, to do good pads and good rotors all around was adding up to around 400 bucks shipped. with just off the shelf stuff at rock auto i think it was still like 280. PLUS i still have a possible sticking front caliper.

the teraflex kit is a little over 500 and it would take care of the caliper concern. i can cut the rear rotors and toss some semi-metallic on them. but for the $ difference i'm REALLY tempted to do the big brake upgrade. I'm just wondering what everyone's experience has been with them?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
I have no clue about their big brake kit. But of all the TF products I do own/run they have NEVER let me down or given me any issues.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
48 Posts
You say they might be sticking? Im thinking i have the same issue with my front. not sure what side but think its driver side that might be sticking sometimes. few times i had it pulling me to 1 side. Have not looked at them in past 2 months. they were kinda low then so.....good question. What breaks is it that some of you guys run here?

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say they might be sticking? Im thinking i have the same issue with my front. not sure what side but think its driver side that might be sticking sometimes. few times i had it pulling me to 1 side. Have not looked at them in past 2 months. they were kinda low then so.....good question. What breaks is it that some of you guys run here?
the pads on the drivers side caliper are wearing unevenly. i noticed when i took the brakes off to pull the shafts to do the gears.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
You should check out Rebel Offroad's kit. I have it, it works really well!
How do they compair to stock? How much better are they?

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do they compair to stock? How much better are they?
their kit is 500 bucks and it's slotted rotors and fancy pads....

OR for 60 bucks more you get slotted rotors (front only) with dual pistion calipers and BIGGER rotors and fancy pads from teraflex....

then just toss some 50 dollar fancy pads on the rear and call it good.

for the extra 100 bucks i'd go with the big brake kit

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The difference between stock and the Rebel kit is Significant! They are cross drilled, vented and slotted rotors, with posi quiet high quality, low dust pads.
The Jeep stops in a controlled manner and is very smooth in hard braking situations as well.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The difference between stock and the Rebel kit is Significant! They are cross drilled, vented and slotted rotors, with posi quiet high quality, low dust pads.
The Jeep stops in a controlled manner and is very smooth in hard braking situations as well.
i don't disagree, but for just a little more to get 2 piston calipers and larger rotors... it's hard to justify the rebel...

we'll see how the teraflexes are once they start showing up on jeeps

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
i don't disagree, but for just a little more to get 2 piston calipers and larger rotors... it's hard to justify the rebel...

we'll see how the teraflexes are once they start showing up on jeeps
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but Rebel is 4 rotors and pads. Teraflex is only a front set up so there is some trade off here other than a little more $

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but Rebel is 4 rotors and pads. Teraflex is only a front set up so there is some trade off here other than a little more $
Correct.

REBEL OFFROAD ENGINEERING JK Brake Kit (Complete Kit)
Front and Rear Brake Rotors with Front and Rear Pads. (Up to 40% Better stopping than stock brakes)
Item number ROE-JK-BKC
Detailed view $499.95
Plus shipping and handling
Plus sales tax

JK Big Brake Kit
This front JK Big Brake kit includes: -Calipers The oversize twin-piston brake caliper provides for more clamping force, with an increased surface area while decreasing brake fade. The oversize caliper will provide a more efficient method of heat dissipation for increased stopping power. -Rotors with performance flutes (not show in current photo). High-performance 13.3” mill-balanced vented rotors keep the braking system cool for maximum stopping in all conditions. The dual wheel bolt pattern 5 on 5" and 5 on 5.5" allows for use on multiple wheel applications. A premium e-coat finish is durable and resists rust. -Pads are high performance optimized to provide maximum surface area and reduce brake dust and noise during extreme braking. The composite-resin, semi-metallic pads increase the lifetime of the brake system.
SKU: 4303400
Email or Call for Availability 1-888-837-2359
Price: $569.99

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya but they're stock sized rotors. you really don't need slotted/drilled rotors in the rear. rear rotors aren't even ribbed or vented. You're better off with the bigger rotors and 2 piston calipers on the front and just a good set of pads on the back.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ok so I know this is an old thread but I would like to hear some long term reviews of this kit. I found a kit with 500 miles on it for $300 so I couldn't pass it up.

1. How's the braking?
2. Sponginess in brake pedal with and without upgraded master cylinder.
3. Brake pad wear and is Teraflex the only source of pads?
4. Anything else you can think of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts