JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 JKU with auto and will be re-gearing shortly and would like to hear from someone actually running auto with 5.13s and 33s. Are you satisfied with the 513s both off-road and at highway speeds?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
5.13 's are gonna make your rpms screammmmm on the highway with 33's
Looks like 2500 @ 70.

Is that the largest tire you plan to run? Your mileage will take a hit on the highway IMO.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
2500 sounds like a good RPM to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I ran 5.13's and stock sra's for a month till my lift was in so I could fit 35's. Mileage dropped, but a good bit of the drop was because it was so damn easy to burn the tires everywhere I went. Also don't forget the gearing chart lists actual tire size, so your 33's are more like 32's if not smaller.
Most folks 35's are 33.5 mounted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it would be too much gear too. 4.88 maybe? Do have 3.73 now or 3.13?
3.73 and the tires measure out at 32 1/4. That's what I had to program in to get speedo right with GPS. It won't hold OD at 70mph with any kind of head wind.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm running 33's @ 2800-2900 RPM. Stock gears and i cant even think about using OD. I am planning on regearing asap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
And are you happy with it or is it too much?
I've got an auto, 3:73's and 33's. Planning on regearing to 5:13's when the 33's wear out and go up to 35's.
Go as deep as you can with the auto IMO. I have a 6 speed on 35s with 5.13s. I wouldn't change a thing.

Then again I dont do much highway driving. My MPG has actually gone up by 2 mpg since I installed the 5.13s. Im getting 14 now! :gluging: Woopy!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got an auto, 3:73's and 33's. Planning on regearing to 5:13's when the 33's wear out and go up to 35's.
Very happy. Only downside is towing without OD cuts my speed down to about 55.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Go as deep as you can with the auto IMO. I have a 6 speed on 35s with 5.13s. I wouldn't change a thing.

Then again I dont do much highway driving. My MPG has actually gone up by 2 mpg since I installed the 5.13s. Im getting 14 now! :gluging: Woopy!
Will you be going to 37w eventually? If so will you still keep the 5.13s? I am see a regear in my future i have a 6sp 4.10s and 35s and hardly see 6th in the city mostly 60+ then have to downshift to pass. But i am trying to figure out if i should be 5.13s or 5.38s cause ill go 37s when the tires wear out. TIA

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Will you be going to 37w eventually? If so will you still keep the 5.13s? I am see a regear in my future i have a 6sp 4.10s and 35s and hardly see 6th in the city mostly 60+ then have to downshift to pass. But i am trying to figure out if i should be 5.13s or 5.38s cause ill go 37s when the tires wear out. TIA
I have a 6spd with 4.10s and 35s; I'm in 6th by about 50mph. I'll kick it down to pass, but 6th is not supposed to be a passing gear anyway. IMO, gear it to use the shifter as you should, or you'll end up with too high of cruising rpm. I'll regear to 4.88 and run 37s. 5.38 or 5.13 is way too deep for the highway speeds I run with a 6spd, plus you'll be rowing like an Olympian through the city streets. Just my 2cents, everyone seems to over-gear the crap out of these things, I don't' get the 3000rpm cruising speeds. Somewhere along the like people started to think that their JK should be able to pull mount Everest in 6th gear and not have to downshift for anything, sorry...but that is not efficient. Use the shifter, every other automatic in the world kicks down to pass.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I def wouldnt go any deeper than 5.13s. I am certainly geared pretty damn deep. When I first got er back from being regear I realized quick that 1st gear was officially useless on the street. So I know just start in second. 2nd gear now is the same as first was with the 3.73s. If I did a lot of highway driving, there is no way in hell I would have gone this deep. But I rarely go on the highway and if I do its for no longer than an hour. Long distance trips, the GF is driving her PT cruiser with her 28 mpg!

I certainly dont regret doing it though. It takes a little getting used to at first but...if I were you, considering you said you do a goof amount of highway driving, I would do the 4.88s. 4.56 would probably be ideal for 35s/ 6speed strickly for highway driving purposes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an 08 JKU with auto and will be re-gearing shortly and would like to hear from someone actually running auto with 5.13s and 33s. Are you satisfied with the 513s both off-road and at highway speeds?
Can't speak for off road or highway yet, but just had 5.13's (auto) put in with my 285's and it is great. Have about 100 miles on the new set, mostly city driving. Running about 2150 rpm at 60 mph. Should be perfect when I go to 35's.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Can't speak for off road or highway yet, but just had 5.13's (auto) put in with my 285's and it is great. Have about 100 miles on the new set, mostly city driving. Running about 2150 rpm at 60 mph. Should be perfect when I go to 35's.
The difference btw the auto and 6 speed amazes me. Where you are at 2100 rpms I would be at like 26-2700

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll go to 35s when the 33s wear out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.