JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone is running this set up. i was thinking about replacing my d30. i would love to build a pr44. what do bare housings come with, just bearing caps? any advise would be appreciated.:beer:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm running a Detroit up front, but with manual hubs, so its invisible on the street. But on the trail - the Detroit is king.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
A bunch of rentals in Moab have them in their jeeps..I know cause I rented a 2dr during EJS...what a blast...I really like the automatic Detroits in that thing..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running a Detroit up front, but with manual hubs, so its invisible on the street. But on the trail - the Detroit is king.
were you having any issues before the hub conversion?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
All of my future builds will have a Detroit in the front and a selectable in the rear. From my experience the front Detroit is fine without hubs - so long as you're not driving it around in the snow or ice. Rear Detroits are a different story, I hate those things on the street.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
All of my future builds will have a Detroit in the front and a selectable in the rear. From my experience the front Detroit is fine without hubs - so long as you're not driving it around in the snow or ice. Rear Detroits are a different story, I hate those things on the street.
Back in the 60's I had a 65 Mustang K-model and it came from the factory with 3:89 gears and a Detroit locker.I never had any kind of problem with it at all,summer or winter driving.My new truck came from the factory with the updated version called the eaton G-80 auto locker.This is my second truck equipped with it and never a problem,and no noise either.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i installed a detroit in the rear axle a month ago. much better then the old design but still takes some getting used to on road.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I heard the new soft lockers are way better than the older models(for the rear). As long as your not lead footin it around coners.
Absolutely true. My rear Detroit has never made a sound. Completely different street behavior than Detroits I have installed in the past (My old ones were loud and sometimes unruly in turns). The softlockers unlock smoothly and silently during turns and do everything right on the trail. I also wheel in the snow and ice every weekend in the winter (usually break trail) and drive to ski resorts and have never had an issue. I wouldn't compare the new Detroits to the old ones when it comes to street manners. If I had to daily commute on icy roads though, I would use selectables instead.

Do a search of the the people that preach "doom and gloom" with Detroits, and you will find that they do not use them. Ask people who actually run Detroits and they will tell you that they will never go back to anything else. So take that into consideration. The best advise I can give you is to drive someones JK with the Detroit installed, then decide for yourself.

Also, the idea of a front Detroit and rear ARB is a sound one; Currie has won countless rock crawling competitions with that very set-up.

·
Rock God
537 Posts
I've had Detroits in my rigs for years. One rig doesn't have locking hubs up front and I've never had any 2Wd issues. It's completely invisible in 2WD.

The Detroit Locker 'Sof-Locker' version has been around since about 1996. I've you've had a Detroit that wasn't a c-clip (you can't make a c-clip Detroit a Sof-Locker) version since that time, it was a Sof-Locker. The only common exception to the Sof-Locker are a couple of 9" Ford racing applications which aren't Sof-Lockers.

lohchief mentioned that his truck has a G80 locker (a factory option made by Eaton). It is nothing like a Detroit. They lock if one tire spins more than 50 rpm more that the other. The installers have made a good living swapping these out as they are very prone to failure.

A locked selectable up front is much harder to steer than a Detroit. In a SWB Jeep I'd go selectable in the rear and Detroit up front.

Like others have said, they aren't great up front on the highway in compact snow and ice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I run an arb up front and what dynatrac said is true. Pita to steer. No problems when i ran an auto locker.

·
Rock God
537 Posts
Do you kids know if Detroit makes one for the 14Bolt?
Yes, Detroits are made for both axles normally considered 14 bolts. The 10.5FF version is a 225S10. It is an insert similar to a Lock Right but is much more durable. The 14B case (carrier) is strong enough to support a Detroit (heavy duty-think Caterpillar-applications use the insert style Detroit). The 14B 9.5 semi float is a c-clip version and it is 225C135A. These axles are not the same as later model Dodge and GMC HD 14B axles.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Yes, Detroits are made for both axles normally considered 14 bolts. The 10.5FF version is a 225S10. It is an insert similar to a Lock Right but is much more durable. The 14B case (carrier) is strong enough to support a Detroit (heavy duty-think Caterpillar-applications use the insert style Detroit). The 14B 9.5 semi float is a c-clip version and it is 225C135A. These axles are not the same as later model Dodge and GMC HD 14B axles.
Thanks.:beer:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Love my Detroit in the rear, on the street its not noticeable at all just gotta take turns slower to avoid burning out the tires. Great on the trail.

sent from HTC Thunderbolt via tapatalk.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Reviving a thread from the dead! Anyone with further experiences running a detroit in the front? I currently run an aussie up front and dont mind it at all. Is it going to be similar?
Thanks

·
V8 dreams
3,568 Posts
Reviving a thread from the dead! Anyone with further experiences running a detroit in the front? I currently run an aussie up front and dont mind it at all. Is it going to be similar?
Thanks
i just searched this for the exact same question you had. anybody know the difference between the two as far as driving/traction goes?

·
V8 dreams
3,568 Posts
I now am running a detroit in the pr44 front and it is a night and day difference. I cant even tell the detroit is in there on the street and offroad it just works!

Ardbeg, ON Jeep JK South Trail Start - YouTube
does it work similar to the aussie? ratchet or pop when turning? how has it been for you in slick conditions?

thanks for info, i'm leaning towards this in my next front axle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts