JKOwners Forum banner

anyone put dash speakers in

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  07unlimitedx 
#1 ·
i want to swap out my dash speakers. im going to do the tweeters eventually but for now im just doing the lower dash and sound bar speakers. anyone have picture of them taking out the stock speakers. i hear they are a b!tch

#2 ·
They actually are not too bad. Here is the write up that I followed but I did not disconnect the battery. Keep in mind too that you will remove the ENTIRE speaker enclosure, not just the speaker itself. End cap panel just pulls off, as does the lower cover under the steering wheel. The cover that is higher (but still below the steering wheel) I think has a couple screws in the bottom edge but I may not remember correctly. The driver's side is the PITA side to do. You'll have just enough room (provided you removed the correct fasteners) to pull the bottom of the dash out and get the speaker out. Good luck!

INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER – DRIVER
1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel end cap.
3. Remove the steering column opening cover.
4. Remove the amplifier.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector.
6. Remove the mounting fasteners in the left side of the instrument panel.
7. Remove the speaker mounting fasteners.
8. Remove the speaker (2) by carefully pulling the left side of the instrument panel outward until there is sufficient room to remove the speaker through the end cap area.

INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER – PASSENGER
1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the glove box.
3. Remove the instrument panel end cap.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
5. Remove the speaker mounting fasteners.
6. Remove the speaker.

#3 ·
Here's some Visual Aid for ya. You'll be needin' Pages 20-23 for the Wrangler:

Speaker Removal Pics (Link)

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

#4 ·
Before you replace the speakers I would apply some Dynamat Extreme to the enclosures. The speakers are actually very good units but are being hindered by a poor enclosure. The enclosures rattle and buzz like a swarm of bees making us think that the speakers are crap when in fact it's the enclosures. Deaden those bad boys and I guarantee you that you'll hear a difference.

I did both of my front enclosures for about $50.

#7 ·
I hated replacing my speakers, the whole thing was a PIA. but worth it with Polk speakers as a replacement.

#10 ·
Yup... drivers side was a pita... removed the pod and put Alpine speakers in... BIG improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.