JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about painting my stock 30/44 as they are both fairly rusty. Anyone done this? Any recommendations as to what paint to use? Should I sand it down first or just clean with a pressure hose, dry and rattle can the shite outta her?

Thanks....

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,957 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah basically. Hahaha. But i gotta live with what i got for a while. Might as well polish up the turd a lil more. And ohhh what a nice and freshly painted turd it will be!

Once school is finished though, PR44 front. Suggestions as to how to do it? Would just cleaning and rattle canning it do the trick?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Did mine when I sleeved and gusseted the front axle. I pulled the out to make it easier to do the job since it was only like 14 bolts or so to get it out and then pressure washed the shit out of it and scuffed it up a bit with an air sander and some scotch pads (I think the scotch pads would work fine for you). Then just shot it with a bunch of flat black. :beer:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Over, and over, and over, and over. LOL
That's the key, over and over and over again :laughing:. Cardboard for over spray, 5 mins with a rattle can, done! Same for my tube fenders and other armor.

My jeep looks nice from about 10 feet away, any closer and it's not so nice :grinpimp:

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
That's the key, over and over and over again :laughing:. Cardboard for over spray, 5 mins with a rattle can, done! Same for my tube fenders and other armor.

My jeep looks nice from about 10 feet away, any closer and it's not so nice :grinpimp:
She's a 10 foot hottie! Good from afar but far from good! LOL

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I just rattle can it. I power wash (car wash) and then apply paint. No big deal!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts

:laughing:

Jeep is afflicted with...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you paint your steering knuckles while your wheels were still on? I did everything today but avoided the knuckles as I did not want to get any of the paint on my ujoints, or is that not something i should be at all concerned about? Are there any areas that I need to avoid when painting?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Just pressure wash it, then hit it with self etching primer before painting... Should be ok.

·
Administrator
8,742 Posts
Im thinking about painting my stock 30/44 as they are both fairly rusty. Anyone done this? Any recommendations as to what paint to use? Should I sand it down first or just clean with a pressure hose, dry and rattle can the shite outta her?

Thanks....
Are you trying to make it look good?? Make it noticeable? Or just make the rust spots go away..

On my rig its.. pressure wash and rattle can like has been stated above.

On Smurfette I went for a little.. ok, alot, of Dazzle.. :grinpimp:

It will look better once we get the Diff cover changed.

I wouldnt do a color with the axle still in the rig though.

I knew the armor was going to be powder coated anthracite and have a raw aluminum feel to it so I had found some spray paint that said "Aluminum" and gave that a try... they should have called the color "Reynold's Wrap"

It didnt work out to well..
:shaking:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I painted them with the axle shafts out. I had just installed sleeves and painted them while they were off. Paint should not affect the u-joints they have a seal on them.
So I dont have to worry about the brakes, steering knuckles or ujoints when rattle canning the shite? I just wanted to assure myself that I wasnt going to out spray paint were I wasnt suppose to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts