JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Offhand, I'm wondering how you get the rear shaft out of the loop to turn the front by itself....?

I haven't opened a JK case, but, typically, the way the shift happens, one side is stationary, the other moves to catch/engage....so NOT engaging the front, to get 2 low rear drive is doable, but to get 2 low in front only...you'd have to engage the front output and not the rear...maybe I'd have to see it, but from here, I can't visualize the inside of the new case.

Do you have a pic of the guts involved?

:D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Offhand, I'm wondering how you get the rear shaft out of the loop to turn the front by itself....?

I haven't opened a JK case, but, typically, the way the shift happens, one side is stationary, the other moves to catch/engage....so NOT engaging the front, to get 2 low rear drive is doable, but to get 2 low in front only...you'd have to engage the front output and not the rear...maybe I'd have to see it, but from here, I can't visualize the inside of the new case.

Do you have a pic of the guts involved?

Yeah, I know the front goes in and out seperate, but I don't think I can get the rear to disengage while the front is in and still transfer torque. I think I would just get neutral with the front and rear coupled. I am going to pull the case apart when it gets here and look.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
Yeah, I know the front goes in and out seperate, but I don't think I can get the rear to disengage while the front is in and still transfer torque. I think I would just get neutral with the front and rear coupled. I am going to pull the case apart when it gets here and look.
yeah, I'm just not seeing how to accomplish the rear staying in neutral and somehow engage the front just due to the way it's designed.

aren't there some products out there that work in-line with the driveshaft to disengage the rear end for vehicles to work as a toad?

seems like it replaces the CV joint with some kind of disengagement joint or something, wonder if someone could make something similar to work off the back of the t-case

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, I'm just not seeing how to accomplish the rear staying in neutral and somehow engage the front just due to the way it's designed.

aren't there some products out there that work in-line with the driveshaft to disengage the rear end for vehicles to work as a toad?

seems like it replaces the CV joint with some kind of disengagement joint or something, wonder if someone could make something similar to work off the back of the t-case
Jesse at High Angle made me one like what you're describing for behind a Toyota transfer case in a buggy I had back in the day....it worked OK, but I wouldn't do it again. I think the Trail Tough version is a little more refined (purpose designed, rather than modifying already-existing parts), but really if you want to do front digs you should just buck up for an Atlas/Stak IMO.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Seeing how the stock case is chain driven and not gear driven, this would make it very difficult. All the tcases that I am familiar with that have front only are gear driven.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anyone ever seen a rear driveshaft disconnect on a 231 or 241?
It's not tcase specific, but when I used to build drivelines, there are disconnects that get built into the driveline itself. It's a yoke, with a collar that slides over a splined area. We used to put them on RV driveshafts. They are not cheap. I believe it's a neapco part, but it's been a number of years since I was in that business

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's not tcase specific, but when I used to build drivelines, there are disconnects that get built into the driveline itself. It's a yoke, with a collar that slides over a splined area. We used to put them on RV driveshafts. They are not cheap. I believe it's a neapco part, but it's been a number of years since I was in that business
That's the one I had, it started life as a Remco unit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I suppose adding another case might work, but the room for it is so tight....and with the chain drive, like I said, I don't see a way to do it in any reasonable fashion.

I say reasonable, meaning, the NEED to HAVE 4 low front ONLY is kind of rare, so putting a ton of money and labor into it seems disproportionate to the gain.

I'd rather put the engineering time into a forced articulation system, or other doo dad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.