JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems they are out of stock everywhere. I am really set on getting Remote reservoir shocks to go with my Rock Crawler 2.5 Max Travel set up. I would go with Fox but they require a minimum of 3" of lift.

Anyone know if the Fox Remotes will work with a RK 2.5 Max Travel system even though Fox Claims 3" in needed?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Seems they are out of stock everywhere. I am really set on getting Remote reservoir shocks to go with my Rock Crawler 2.5 Max Travel set up. I would go with Fox but they require a minimum of 3" of lift.

Anyone know if the Fox Remotes will work with a RK 2.5 Max Travel system even though Fox Claims 3" in needed?
Just having the remote reservoir really only makes rebuilding possible where it might not have been before.

If you are going to spend the money you should look into adjustable compression if not rebound as well.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I got mine from eshocks.com
Ditto. I had them in the rear of my old YJ and got them from those guys, as well as a set of custom 5125s for the front. Good price, fast shipping.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Arent these adjustable also?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just having the remote reservoir really only makes rebuilding possible where it might not have been before.

If you are going to spend the money you should look into adjustable compression if not rebound as well.
The Remote res. and rebuilding are too totally different things. Rebuilding is possible on shocks with a threaded in cap around the rod and a place to refill the nitrogen. Every remote res. shock I have ever seen has been rebuildable with the exception of some really cheap motorcycle shocks.
Shocks like the RK's with the fluted body are not remote res., but are rebuildable. I think the Fox 2.0's may be too.

The advantage of a remote res. shock is that the reservoir has a floating piston separating the nitrogen from the oil. The prevents the oil from being emulsified with the nitrogen. I also causes a constant pressure to be applied to the oil that prevents it from cavitating around the shims that control the dampening when it is hot.

As far as adjustability, yes it is nice, but not necessary if the dampening is right for the vehicle. The shims can be changed (called revalving) to adjust the compression and rebound and once it is set right, make adjusters unnecessary and just another part to break.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check with shockwarehouse.com too. I find stuff there when everyone else is out. I can possibly pass on a little discount if you find them through them too.

What about RRD?

Marcus
I called twice, no answer, no voice mail. I will try again tomorrow.

ebay has them.
I will look there.

I got mine from eshocks.com
Thanks, I will try them. Do you like yours? How long have you been running them?

Pm marcus at rivercityoffroad. I know for a fact he's got good deals on sgocks
I will call there too, thanks.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
BustaBizz has them (4wheelparts rep here)

5160 Series Stock Mount Remote Reservoir Shock by Bilstein®
2007-11 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited
1.5-3" lift
Front shock
BIL25-187656
16 in stock, available nation wide

5160 Series Stock Mount Remote Reservoir Shock by Bilstein®
2007-11 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited
2" lift
Rear shock
BIL25-187663
12 in stock, available nation wide

Im not positive if the rear will work but the next size up calls for a 4 inch lift. That PN is BIL25-187649 and they have 5 in stock

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are on the way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
DesertJK - I love mine. Only have them in the front.

Have 5100 in the rear and I think i will change them out to 5160 in due time..:beer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts