JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok this past saturday I'm taking off for errands and I have very little time. All of a sudden a soft ding, just one and a little oil light comes on and goes off so I pull over to a mobil 1 oil jiffy place to get an oil change knowing it's been around 6500 miles. Well the service tech calls me into the bay within a minute of pulling in the jeep and 1 quart of oil was in the jeep. I guess this is the reason for the ding and light to go off once.

Now no clue why this is only got 1 quart accept the great quality. Oil was all over the underside on the drive line etc... well I have them continue and they give about 4 useless options.

When I get home I crawl under the jk and there appears to be oil all around where the filter goes on and the seal around the oil pan and the section just above it. I check the bolts to the oil pan and 2 are loosened enough for a 1/4 turn. I check the bolts directly above the pan and every bolt is loose between 1/2 turn and 3/4 turn. My question is the oil pan is connected to what? I'm not sure whats behind this oil pan between the engine and the pan. Should I worry about it? I've checked after every ride since Saturday and there doesn't appear to be any fresh oil but the oil pan seal seems still wet and the seal right above this.

Once again something going wrong with this Piece of quality machinery. Funny thing is I still love it.

Edit: Not a scratch underneath especially the Oil pan. I've only done mild trails with no challenge so far and Ive not hit bottom yet.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I haven't yet pulled the JK oil pan off but you may want (in the mean time) to check the tsb/ recalls and see if any of these apply to the leak you are having. Sounds at the least like this should be covered under warranty. I mean all these bolts coming loose is not normal. Wonder if this was overlooked (whether human or mechanical error) on the production line.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-tsb-recalls/

*Seems that I have seen one or more leak/engine related tsb's here recently.

*If you think one of these applies to your JK, you may want to print it out before going to the dealership. I have seen dealership service techs scan through the TSB/ recall lists pretty fast before. Don't always trust them to find what you're looking for. Research it on your own so that you are all on the same page.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn't even think to check but I bet I found it

NUMBER: 09-008-07
GROUP: Engine
DATE: November 07, 2007

SUBJECT:
3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the 3.8L engine timing cover.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience oil seepage from the engine. The oil seepage may be due to surface porosity in the aluminum material used to make the engine timing cover. This surface porosity is located on the surface that mates to the engine block.
The source of the oil seepage may be misdiagnosed. The following are areas where the engine oil seepage may be noticed due to the timing cover porosity:
a). Timing Cover - The seepage may appear as a gasket leak between the cover and the engine block.
b). Oil Filter- The timing cover porosity may lead to an oil seepage at the oil filter or immediate area of the oil filter. The technician may believe that the oil filter is at fault.
c). Unused Oil Filter Adapter Boss - Oil may seep along an unused open oil galley and display at the face of the unused oil filter adapter boss. The adapter boss is on the lower left side of the engine.
d). Oil Pan - The technician may believe that the oil pan gasket is at fault.
e). Rear Seal Carrier - The oil may seep along an unused open oil galley and display in the area of the rear crankshaft seal carrier. The technician may believe that the rear crankshaft seal is at fault.
f). Front Crankshaft Seal - The porosity in the timing cover above or around the front crankshaft seal may cause the technician to believe that the front crankshaft seal is at fault.

Christ there are allot of TSB issues on this vehicle. The description is dead on to what I saw underneath and it appears its coming from above the filter but it's all over the place so it is hard to tell. I beleive the bolts being loose and finding it is pure crap luck. Oil wouldn't fly upward.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Christ there are allot of TSB issues on this vehicle.
I always feel like recommending that someone sit down, take a deep breath, and open a beer, before going there. You're right....Tons of em. I've been to MANY recall and TSB sites for other vehicles- Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, and even other Chrysler vehicles. The JK runs circles 10 times around all of the others. No other vehicle that I have EVER seen, has had this # of recalls and TSB's that I'm aware of. :shaking:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
There is a "spacer" between the block and oil pan. A while back I noticed that all the bolts on my pan and spacer were not exactly tight. They are only torqued to 105 in/lbs, so I'm guessing they just work loose.

I still have a couple of minor leaks (doesn't drip just gets oily residue on surface). One around the structural cover between the engine and bell housing, and another around the timing cover. It's done this since the day I got it, and I suspect it's due to porous castings, but it's so minor I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this should be a sticky then to check every (x) miles. I'm planning to heat up the garage by firing up the woodstove in it and go around checking for other loose bolts. I've noticed some other seepage (oily residue) around the block. Specifically near valve cover area.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
making appointment as it's still leaking. Need to get the dealer look into it. Funny thing is I have 38,500 miles which is out of base warentee so I could get screwed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I give up with dealers. I was called this morning and they said it wasn't leaking. Ok 1 qrt in a month is leaking. I spent about 1 hr on and off with them on the phone. They were useless. There is not a seal without oil all around it and the fact it is dripping I swear it's this TSB I posted before. The only way they will believe me is to let the do an oil change and then bring it back in 1 month without topping off the oil. Oh ya they asked where I got the platnuim plugs. I laughed as I never changed them and asked them good question was there a reason you changed them. Dealers... sounds like I'll just have a leaky engine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Old thread but I've got it all resolved so I thought I'd update.

So after many useless visits to jeep dealers I finally met a Technician for Chrysler that installed the backordered timing cover. So I paid out of pocket to purchase it and have it installed. (Yes I had someone do it for me because it's just to involved for me to handle right now)

Guess what, no more leaks and no loss of oil. I'm running at around 1500 miles since it has been done and I'm still full. Apparently my build is late dec 2006 so it actually is extremely high candidate for this being the cause. The original timing cover apparently has a flaw in the design around the Crank seal. I kept it because water pump and everthing is still attached to the old one.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Glad to hear it's finally resolved. Sucks you had to pay for it yourself but at least it's done.

It's always a bonus to find a good tech who has his own shop. Back in the early '90's I had a Honda Accord and a 20+ year tech with a little shop by his house. He did all the stuff I couldn't or didn't have time to handle.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear it's finally resolved. Sucks you had to pay for it yourself but at least it's done.

It's always a bonus to find a good tech who has his own shop. Back in the early '90's I had a Honda Accord and a 20+ year tech with a little shop by his house. He did all the stuff I couldn't or didn't have time to handle.
Yes it is nice to have someone who I can talk to on the jk in New England. To top it off he only lives 1 hr away and near my brother so I can just go over and hang with my neices when he works on it. I got him to join here but I promised him I wouldn't reveal his name since it would be a bombardment of q/a

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Chain Porosity

Hey guys I'm new as a member but have been reviewing the boards when I have a problem with my JK. I had an engine oil leak on my 07 JK with 17k miles. It was leaking about 3quarts per 3K miles. I reviewed this board and raised the issue of the porosity problem with my local dealer Alexander/Harpeth Jeep in Franklin, TN. They completely dismissed the idea and said it was normal. Luckily I had a friend who had a similiar experience with our local dealer and he advised me to take my jeep to Bill Boruff 2hrs away in Sparta TN.

Long story short, the new and very helpful dealership replaced my engine due to the porosity problem. Now I have no leak and new engine. Couldn't be happier. The helpful dealership said they have been dealing with the 3.8L chryser for years and no way it should be leaking oil on new engine. They also replaced my header due to soft top wind noise. If your dealer says one quart per 1K is normal on almost new engine, tell em' to shove it and find a new dealer! I can't tell you how happy I am I found a dealer who was willing to help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, Old thread but I've got it all resolved so I thought I'd update.

So after many useless visits to jeep dealers I finally met a Technician for Chrysler that installed the backordered timing cover. So I paid out of pocket to purchase it and have it installed. (Yes I had someone do it for me because it's just to involved for me to handle right now)

Guess what, no more leaks and no loss of oil. I'm running at around 1500 miles since it has been done and I'm still full. Apparently my build is late dec 2006 so it actually is extremely high candidate for this being the cause. The original timing cover apparently has a flaw in the design around the Crank seal. I kept it because water pump and everthing is still attached to the old one.
Do I have to worry about anything behind the cover, I am planning to do this myself, just need to get the time together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.