JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you search for "LED" at store.mopar,com, there's a pair of headlamps (82214333ab) for 2014-2018 Wranglers. It looks like they're intended for dealer installation since there are instructions for programming. Curious if anyone has these, how they work and hold up, etc. Also, if you had a dealer install them, what it all cost. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I opted to skip that Mopar "upgrade" option and went for the actual factory LED headlights from a 2017+ JK. IMHO, they have the best light pattern and color temperature out of all the LED options for the JK. I also think that they look the best when not turned on. They are a complete bucket and headlight assembly so you need to pull out the original headlight as well as the bucket.

I remember reading a while back that those Mopar upgrade LED headlights are/were made by JW Speaker. Only difference is that the Mopar-branded lights do not have the anti flicker circuitry (capacitors).

The price has gone up on them since I originally purchased mine but you can get them from Quadratec or a dealer.

I have JScan and it does have the option to enable LED headlights as well as LED fog lights but I don't think it works too well. The retrofitted 2017+ headlights are still a little blinky on my 2013 even with the options set using JScan. The headlights don't get a full +12VDC or more from the battery/alternator. They are on PWM and I think it's the TIPM causing the blinkiness. I am thinking to fix this by adding four capacitors in parallel to the headlights for high and low beam, or by using a couple of relays triggered off of the original TIPM/PWM circuit to provide a full +12VDC to the LEDs.

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
I ike Paul's idea of using the factory lights.
I find all of these aftermarket LEDs look fugly / out of place. They're too modern / goofy looking and stick out like a sore thumb on the front of a JK.
It would be nice if there were lamps that look like the originals but have LED functionality.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ike Paul's idea of using the factory lights.
I find all of these aftermarket LEDs look fugly / out of place. They're too modern / goofy looking and stick out like a sore thumb on the front of a JK.
It would be nice if there were lamps that look like the originals but have LED functionality.
Yes. I keep looking at LED replacement bulbs for that reason, but the reviews are so mixed.

·
Administrator
1,094 Posts
I have the factory LED on the '18 and ProComp on the '14. Factory LED are far superior to the old lamp.
But IMO the ProComp have better light output, less $ and easy install. Mine have held up for several years without issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you search for "LED" at store.mopar,com, there's a pair of headlamps (82214333ab) for 2014-2018 Wranglers. It looks like they're intended for dealer installation since there are instructions for programming. Curious if anyone has these, how they work and hold up, etc. Also, if you had a dealer install them, what it all cost. Thanks in advance.
The PO had them installed on my 12 when he bought it new. They are still going strong ten years later and they throw a good pattern on low and high.

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
I have the factory LED on the '18 and ProComp on the '14. Factory LED are far superior to the old lamp.
But IMO the ProComp have better light output, less $ and easy install. Mine have held up for several years without issue.
Are you running infline capacitor(s) or anti-flicker harnesses?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts