JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have an ARB twin air compressor - CKMTA12?

Folks, anyone out there have the new ARB CKMTA12 twin cylinder air compressor? If you do, how did you mount it? I saw this article where they mounted the thing on a custom bracket in the engine bay. Obviously this wasn't an off the shelf install.

So anyway, if you've got one where did you mount the thing? One of the thoughts I had was on the tailgate, but that's just a blue-sky idea. No idea if it would work.

The other option is the Dominion Off Road/Woods compressor setup. The idea is that the compressor setup have enough airflow to be able to run airtools on the trail. As I understand it the ARB can do this straight out of the box. With the addition of a storage tank it'll run higher flow air tools.

ARB USA website said:
Applications:

• Pneumatic supply and electrical control for ARB Air Locker(s). (Air Locker Manifold Kit #171503 required)
  • Rapid inflation of small, medium and large tires.
  • Air tools rated up to 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] continuous supply.
  • Air tools rated higher than 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] using an optional air tank suitable to the run time requirements
FourWheeler Mag said:
We were able to easily remove and tighten the wheel lug nuts at our own pace with no lag thanks in part to our preexisting 2.5-gallon air tank and the pumps output of nearly 3 cfm at 100 psi.
Seems pretty good, but the Dominion setup is pretty turn-key, which is pretty good too.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've got it, and spent some time head scratching on install. I ended up mounting it under passenger seat. Very pleased, it stays warm and dry and its centrally located for airing tires. I will be adding a 2.5 gallon tank soon. This compressor will air up my 35's from 10psi to 25psi in under five minutes (all four)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hmm...you know a compressor is running, but as i'm always outside the jeep when its on I don't pay much attention. The gf doesn't seem to mind it...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Nwapache, did you consider any other mounting options, and if so and rejected them, why? My tub is lined and I hose mine out after every wheeling trip, so mounting under the seat isn't a good option. I'm going to see if it will fit behind the dash above either the driver or passenger's feet. If that doesn't work than I'll probably mount it on the wheel well and build a metal bracket over it for protection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
HI All,
I have a Warn VTC compressor mounted in my '89 YJ Wrangler. Folks, this is a great compressor. As fast as the gas station! You might consider it.

Sparky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is where I mounted mine. It's mounted on an eBay Molle panel that I modified a little. This compressor is saweet!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I mounted mine on the drivers side rear wheel well. Love this compressor and pretty happy with the mounting location.

Brent

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I don't know why people are worried about mounting them inside the Jeep under the seat and hosing it out when most mount them in the engine compartment anyways. What's the difference, wet is wet.

Cool dry air inside just seems a lot more practical to me.
Miine= inside under the pass seat on a bracket above the floor and it works like a charm and mounted in a space that I would never use otherwise.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know why people are worried about mounting them inside the Jeep under the seat and hosing it out when most mount them in the engine compartment anyways. What's the difference, wet is wet.

Cool dry air inside just seems a lot more practical to me.
Miine= inside under the pass seat on a bracket above the floor and it works like a charm and mounted in a space that I would never use otherwise.
Noise, how loud is this ARB compressor?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Well, I guess that depends. I still have my e-lockers so it doesn't turn on unless I need the compressor for something else. To me it's not that loud and I would prefer it be inside the cab and out of the elements in cool air. Those air filters can not be good in the elements getting covered with drity air and mudd etc.

Not to mention the compressor is not always 150+ degrees like under the hood.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, I guess that depends. I still have my e-lockers so it doesn't turn on unless I need the compressor for something else. To me it's not that loud and I would prefer it be inside the cab and out of the elements in cool air. Those air filters can not be good in the elements getting covered with drity air and mudd etc.

Not to mention the compressor is not always 150+ degrees like under the hood.
Yes, hot under hood. I was thinking noise when running lockers, of course it should not run much with the lockers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not too loud. I have elockers so it's only on when I'm outside the vehicle. I may move mine in the future, but for now it's out of the way and easily accessible.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have the single mounted under the hood. Based on its performance I went with a Viair dual 480C setup with a 2.5 gallon tank. Runs 200psi cuts on at 165 and fills back up in about 45 seconds or so. Takes about 3.5 minutes to fill tank from 0.
Runs small impacts fine and airs up my 37 from 10 to 28 right at a minute each.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I transferred my unit from my 2dr to my 4dr. It's a beast, and handles 37"s almost as quickly as the 35"s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts