JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be looking to pick up an R1200GS Enduro, anyone have a connection and can help out? :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Going the Dual Sport route eh? I currently ride a Yamaha FJR1300, And i have been thinking about the KTM 990. Something to consider...;)

YMMV

Adam

ps...No connections at all for the blue and white roundel...LOL

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah out here in TX with as much time as I spend in the boondocks and generally crappy roads here, an Enduro makes a lot more sense than my 200MPH modded suzuki 1200

I looked at the KTM but man, that's just an odd looking beast and most everything said it was a european market bike.

I'm a big boy so on/off road bike selection dwindles pretty fast since most manufacturers only make 650s
I have a 30 mile roundtrip highway ride to work so a 650 would have to work it's nuts off!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
odd looking? And the GS is normal? :laughing:

I personally think they both are hideous aesthetically, But in these cases it's function over form...;)

You speak lightly of the 650's.. The KLR 650 has a cult following, And has proven itself to be a great steed, Even for the larger people, Me included.

One reason i am personally excluding the KLR, Is that i would like to retain some street manners, Yet have the ability to hit the trails. Maybe a 80% road,20% trail would be my ratio...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A friend of mine is the service manager at a BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership. He might be able to help you out... but this is in Boston. Shipping costs and/or the cost of a flight and gas may make it not worth it.

No guarantees but I'll look into it if you're seriously interested.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm waiting for a quote from the Fort Worth dealer
Hopefully they don't do that markup crap and think that the bike is worth thousands more than the manufacturer does!
I'll let you know as soon as I get a number from the closest dealership here (still 180 miles away!)
Thanks for the possible hookup tho!

I know he KLR650 is a legend, but I already have one pig (My JK!) that I have to hold to the floor on the highway to hold 75MPH in our 30MPH winds I don't want to have to do it to a bike too!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I'm waiting for a quote from the Fort Worth dealer
Hopefully they don't do that markup crap and think that the bike is worth thousands more than the manufacturer does!
I'll let you know as soon as I get a number from the closest dealership here (still 180 miles away!)
Thanks for the possible hookup tho!

I know he KLR650 is a legend, but I already have one pig (My JK!) that I have to hold to the floor on the highway to hold 75MPH in our 30MPH winds I don't want to have to do it to a bike too!
Good point! :laughing:

I never have been a fan of how selective the BMW stealerships are. They have the supply and demand thing all wrong, Hence the reason i will stick with the big 4 as they have dealers everywhere.

Good luck on your endeavor, And keep me posted.

Adam

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the dealer got back tome with a couple of quotes
they have a couple of 1200s in stock, one is a GS but has all the extras like hand warmers, ABS II and all that jazz, they want $19,500 out the door for it and the have an adventure model for about a grand more
pretty much works out to MSRP + tax and title, no extra markup

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I looked at them but I wasn't sure how well they'd handle a muddy washboard road.
Seat height on the Beemer shouldn't be a prob :D
I'm pretty much down to a BMW GSA or a KTM EXC

·
Registered
88 Posts
about a year ago i was lookin at the GS adventure... did a lot of research and decided I would go BMW over KTM especially after what I read from "long way round" and recently "Long way Down" BMW was the only manufacturer that would 100% stand by their product. KTM wouldnt......they wanted them to go an easier route.

BMW can also have any part delivered next business day guarenteed...

EDIT: there are also people that have well over 250,000miles on the original engine without an overhall... that and they are Shaft drive as well...

BMW was my choice, but got a JK instead :D

Id still pick up a GS... and part of me is still looking.--wallet doesnt like it though :D and I dont want to trade my Gixxer in.

BMW is choice for me, partly because of the strong engine alone, let alone the quality of workmanship on those bikes.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still heavily leaning toward the GSA, but 20Gs is a lot of cash
I can buy 4 KLRs or DR650s for that so I'm still on the fence.
The other big detractor for BMW is that the closest dealer is 175 miles away so service will be a pain

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Tiger is a dual purpose bike, but maybe not as capable for some uses as a GS. It is about 1/2 the cost of the GS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wKEMGikK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IvTC9la-dk

This last one is 2 BMWs and a Triumph. I think of the BMW in the same way I think of a Rubicon. If you can afford it, go for it. The Triumph is like an X. It will do what the BMW will, but may need a few aftermarket things (like tires) to bring up up to snuff for dirt roads. It costs about 40% less. I saved for about a year before I got my Rubicon because for me, I would not have been happy "settling" for an X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvp5u9zutIw

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since bmw, triumph and ktm dealers are all at least 180 miles away, I might just go with a suzi v-strom 1000
looks to be cheap, reliable and easy to get fixed anywhere

·
Registered
397 Posts
I guess that makes the decision a little easier! 180 miles? Damn!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the long treks I'd be doing out here would probably in the middle of nowhere in west texas so the more common bike would probably make more sense, and the vstrom is the only dual purpose made by the big 4 that's over a 650 and at 6'5" and 325lbs I need a big machine, plus my GF is gonna want to ride 2 up.
Plus $9K vs $20K is a big bonus!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds like a VSTROM would make the most sense. I guess that is one advantage to living in LA, you have a lot of choices, and they are not too far away. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
still heavily leaning toward the GSA, but 20Gs is a lot of cash
I can buy 4 KLRs or DR650s for that so I'm still on the fence.
The other big detractor for BMW is that the closest dealer is 175 miles away so service will be a pain
bmw will let you do your service yourself, depending on what is done. If i was to take a motorycycle across multiple countries I would take a BMW hands down due to performance, availible parts (believe it or not its easier to get bmw parts vs kawasaki, suzuki or ktm across the globe.) and again .... many more people have more mileage on bmws vs. kawasakis etc... better powerplants hands down... a 1200gs adventure and a couple of tourarec hard cases and id trade my jk for it!

·
Registered
962 Posts
odd looking? And the GS is normal? :laughing:

I personally think they both are hideous aesthetically, But in these cases it's function over form...;)

You speak lightly of the 650's.. The KLR 650 has a cult following, And has proven itself to be a great steed, Even for the larger people, Me included.

One reason i am personally excluding the KLR, Is that i would like to retain some street manners, Yet have the ability to hit the trails. Maybe a 80% road,20% trail would be my ratio...
The 650's have an inherent problem with the cam chain tensioner, it's called a "doohickey". Aftermarket parts are available though. Other than that it's a solid machine. I've got the KLR 250, 65mpg, baby!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts