JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSB 05-001-08 came out last week with a new flash to allow ESP to turned off completely via a steering wheel/key/button procedure.
Due to "vehicles with lifts and oversized tires experiencing early ESP activation"

"This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Anti-Lock Brake/Electronic Stability Module (ABS), the Cabin Control Node (CCN), and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) with new software. Once these modules have been reprogrammed (flashed), a sequence of steps will be required to disable or enable the vehicle Electronic Stability Program (ESP)."

Just wondering if anyone had gotten it done yet? :mr-t:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm glad they finally did this, on the way to work this morning I was driving on ice and sleet. Around the on ramp on an IDL the computer did it's little " I think you are turning over, so I'll mash on the front left brake for you" trick. I was only going 25. That was a little scary on the slick stuff, where no brakes were neccessary.

I'll be the first in line Monday morning to get this flash done (I hope).
Maybe even this afternoon.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Interesting.

I'll just use the switch to fully disengage the system. A whole lot easier than key sequences.

FWIW, I've been driving around here with snow and ice covered roads (mostly in 2wd) and my ESP has come on maybe twice and both times I was being squirrelly so I really have no complaints what so ever with my ESP system. Now the ABS system has kicked in a couple times while accelerating too fast for the slick roads but that is more to be expected from the system.

I don't think I will ever go back for another flash after the stall bug fiasco I had where I never had my JK stall until after the stupid flash. :pissed:

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
It is the violet and lite blue wire under the center console. Snip this wire and the ESP system will completely disengage. Put in a SPST switch and you can completely turn on or off the ESP system.

Note: This puts th ESP system in a fault condition and you will have warning lights on the dash but the ESP will no longer function.

As with any modification doing this to your JK is entirely and soley your responsibility and I would submit that for "fun times" or special situations you may want to disengage the ESP system but for general use I would not recommend a completly disabled ESP system and if you are having ESP issues you should find the resolution to the problem and not use disabling the ESP system as the cure.

This does work and I found the information here. Jim at Nth used this method to fully disengage the ESP system on their 2 door so they could "play".
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=44728

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW, I've been driving around here with snow and ice covered roads (mostly in 2wd) and my ESP has come on maybe twice and both times I was being squirrelly so I really have no complaints what so ever with my ESP system.
X2 No ice here, but I've had the ESP kick in a few times when pulling away around a corner in slick wet conditions. Each time I was started to slide a little, so it was doing what it was supposed to. Otherwise I'd never know the ESP was there.

I think I'll get it done the next time I'm at the dealer, but I'm not making a trip just for it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, I'm scheduled for Monday now, but get this--the service guy asks me what motor I have.
I say the only one available at the time, the 3.8, what else you got?
He says his manual shows a 2.8 diesel is now available.
So is this for the exports or domestics I ask.
He says domestics.
At that point we both guessed that the diesel will be in the 2009 models.

Anybody else hear this or am I behind on the latest powerplant news?

A

·
0 Posts
I’ve had mine activate for no reason several times so I may get this done. It seems to happen mostly on curved on/off freeway ramps. I was going to wait and see if 5.13 gears helped first since I'm running 37s and the Jeep thinks I’m going faster than I really am.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running 37s and the Jeep thinks I’m going faster than I really am.
Actually the jeep thinks its going SLOWER than you actually are.
Larger diameter tire covers more ground with each revolution, all the speedo knows is how many times things go around.

G

·
0 Posts
I have had very little problems from mine. I'm running 35's and the only time I've had the esp kick in seems to be on very slow (< 25mph) curves on steep downhill sections (I actually experienced this once when the vehicle was completely stock). Other than that, no problems at all. And when I get in the dirt and mash the throttle and crank the steering wheel just to see what it does, it's really pretty brilliant. Overall, I like having it - I'm a complete convert on this because I really did not want it at all before I bought.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any problems with it yet.
When I want to play, hitting the button on the dash seems to kill it far enough to have some fun and it hasn't nannied me too bad yet in normal driving, but it would be nice to be able to do a hokey pokey and kill it completely if I wanted.
Shoulda been that way from the factory.
I may get it done when I get the brake recall done just to have the option available.
Be nice when it snows to have the rear locker over ride done and totally kill the ESP for donut fun :thefinger: :mr-t:

·
Registered
962 Posts
X2 Even with 4.88's and 36's my speedo still reads 10% lower than actual. The good news is that my odometer also reads 10% lower ;)

LOL, free warranty extension....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I plan on getting this TSB done soon. I have had NO issues at all with the ESP except while offroading, then it is a pain in the ass... On the highway with ice and snow it is actually nice when it kicks in...

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, I had the reflash done, you have to do a Nintendo cheat code sequence with the steering wheel and ESP button to turn it off or on. I have followed the code sequence to the nth degree and have had NO luck in disabling the damn thing:pissed:

I called the dealer back just now, they thought they turned it (ESP) off and that it's not user selectable. I told them according to the TSB I have in my hand right now (05-001-08) it is indeed user selectable and that I cannot disable the system. They are supposed to call me back after they figure it out:rolleyes:

BTW, under a similar topic on the "other forum", several individuals have been quoted a price for the flash by the dealer. Apparently this TSB is not covered under warranty. I was not charged for the flash.

On another note......

I read the post in the forum referenced for the toggle switch mod. What that does is kill the power to the accelerometer, faking the computer out thinking the thing failed. I didn't have the "over kill ESP" until I lifted the Jeep.BTW, I carefully re-centered the steering wheel after the lift.

So what really changed? The apparent height of the accelerometer, resulting in excessive movement. (This is my theory only, I have nothing to back it up). Maybe the cure is to LOWER the sensor, mounting it in a waterproof box under the Jeep somewhere at it's original mounting height.
Only four wires to extend, may be worth looking into. Anybody know where the sensor is bolted down at?

A

·
0 Posts
LOL, free warranty extension....
Have you seen Phil’s Jeep? Most of the warrantee is already voided ;)

BTW, I always get the slow fast thing round the wrong way ;) Doesn’t really matter I drive the Jeep like an old man anyway :D

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Have you seen Phil’s Jeep? Most of the warrantee is already voided ;)
:D :D :D

The pn;y warranty item I've had so far was the HVAC fan got noisy, but rather than mess around at the dealer and leave my vehicle there for a few days, I just another one for $28 and did it myself.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
The apparent height of the accelerometer, resulting in excessive movement. (This is my theory only, I have nothing to back it up). Maybe the cure is to LOWER the sensor, mounting it in a waterproof box under the Jeep somewhere at it's original mounting height.
Only four wires to extend, may be worth looking into. Anybody know where the sensor is bolted down at?
I don't believe the height of it is anything to do with it. I'm lifted 4.5" running 36's and never had a single issue with ESP on the road. Likewise for many other people.

A

·
0 Posts
I don't believe the height of it is anything to do with it. I'm lifted 4.5" running 36's and never had a single issue with ESP on the road. Likewise for many other people.
I honestly have the darn thing try to control me almost every day. It’s always on a curved off camber on ramp now I think about it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I honestly have the darn thing try to control me almost every day. It’s always on a curved off camber on ramp now I think about it.
That's what mine's doing, although my on ramp has the correct camber. I'm limited to 25mph around any type of on ramp, or off ramp for that matter.

Then what's going on with mine:confused: It has to be the height of the sensor. When I put the lift on (2.5") it started acting up. Nothing but the height of the chassis changed.

Here is a section from the post I mentioned. Granted, he's talking about Charger, and we'll never see .8 g's around a corner, but I think the general operation of the sensors apply to us as well....

An accelerometer's purpose is to use multiple internal sensors to try and judge the movement of the object it is mounted to. These sensors are setup internally in different positions to measure accel/decel rates in multiple directions. G-forces are also measured through this device. The rating that some might have seen about 0.8 G's being the limit before ESP/BAS begins to take over, is in fact a number that is recieved directly from this DSS module. It is this module that tells the car how many g-forces you're pulling while turning. Combine that figure with other data such as steering wheel position, throttle position, speed of rotation of the rear wheels, as well as front wheel rotation speed. All of these figures are used by the PCM to make precise calculations on what assistance the computer should apply to the car to keep itself (and the occupant) safe!
Put the sensor on a stick high above the jeep, it sees more movement around the corner as it's further from the axis of movement. Put it back where it's supposed to be height-wise on a lifted vehicle and it will see what it thinks, or is programmed, to see.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts