JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having failed sensors and now found that there a couple chunks of metal floating around behind what I imagine is the tone ring. I want to get it apart to understand the design and what failed.

Anyone know if/how these are press fit together and a good strategy to tear it apart. I would like to preserve the area around the sensor/tone ring for evaluation.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
If your talking about the sealed hub bearing I don't think that you can take one apart. I don't have on in front of me but I changed mine out 2 or 3 months ago and gave them a pretty good looking at. They look designed to never come apart.

Maybe a gear head will know more about this. I'm just going by what I saw when looking at one.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
not servicable, but destructable :D

I used a 4" grinder, a lot of patience, a LOT of brute force and a crowbar to get mine apart after the "sealed" bearing died.

I ended up using parts of it to make an adapter to used a stock JK tire carrier on the front of my M416 to carry a spare military trailer tire.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have been having failed sensors and now found that there a couple chunks of metal floating around behind what I imagine is the tone ring. I want to get it apart to understand the design and what failed.

Anyone know if/how these are press fit together and a good strategy to tear it apart. I would like to preserve the area around the sensor/tone ring for evaluation.
Take a look at this thread. It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35276

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Take a look at this thread. It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35276
Thanks - very good info at this link. Based on the photo there, the 2 chunks of metal appear to be from the bearing cage (one on the right).

So, I have a self-destroyed bearing and a bunch of mud/grease combo (or is it ground up metal in grease?) in the bearing from the inner side. There is almost no lubricity in the paste left in there. This is basically as far as I got in taking it apart. After about an hour with an air hammer and cold chisel with a sledge, I gave up. At least for now. I managed to get about 25% of the swage knocked off, but it was very tough.

Here is the mud/grease in the bearing. Nice "sealed" bearing.

I got all of 24k miles. My passenger side needs done too. I will do it once it is a little warmer.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The bearing cages on mine are made of plastic.

Look for a vendor or an auto parts store that sells them with a lifetime warranty.
Timken sells the OEM hub for less than $100. Don't be fooled by the Timken name. The hub is still made by ILJIN, the OEM supplier.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
so far I've only lost the pax side - at about 45K miles, mostly with 35"s

no real symptoms when driving other than it finally killed my VSS sensor and started messing with the ABS computer until the jeep was undrivable - it would nail the right front brake while you were driving. But soon as I got it jacked up, it was pretty obvious.

IMG_0621.MOV - YouTube

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.