JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering making my black Rubicon Unlimited a flat black Rubicon Unlimited when I do the Hemi swap.

Curious if anyone has had this done, how they like it, how it has held up, and what was the cost.

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I talked to a place locally here to satin wrap my JKU. They wanted about 5K to do the job.

Trying to decide if that is worth it to me.

I do like the look.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I talked to a place locally here to satin wrap my JKU. They wanted about 5K to do the job.

Trying to decide if that is worth it to me.

I do like the look.
5k for a one color wrap? They are on crack. It does not even require printing. You could buy matte black or clear mate 3m shit and do it yoursel. No printing and no worry of lining up graphics = no effort

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've thought about it. I want to re-paint in desert MARPAT, but thought about going this route instead. The only thing holding me back is the AZ sun...don't want to pay out the nose for it, just to have it fade away in 2 or 3 years.

-WRM

·
Registered
185 Posts
was not even a color wrap, they have a satin wrap that only requires cutting.

They said something like this, There are a multitude of small intricate areas that need film which would all have to be custom made. Disassembly required.
Then said it would save a lot if you just wanted the larger panels covered and not all around the door hinges, windshield surrounds, and so on.

I did not pursue it any further.

I also thought about buying the bulk film and doing it myself.

He was also concerned that the satin material would not be good on a jeep. It would get scratched to easily and then need to be replaced.

So, I am still deciding if I am going to do anything. I do think a satin sahara tan jeep would look cool.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
bulllllshat :laughing: a jk is easy, its all large flat surfaces with easy cut off points. Door hinge would be the most difficult and even then its not.

Once you get into graphics is whre you need to be good, but a one color is just getting it on thre and done

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I was quoted $2500 for this...... I was considering and long since decided it was not for me.

I had a wrap done on a car in 2000. This car was only sparing driven at best. Over a five year period, this single metallic color changed very noticeably. Unless the UV protection has really improved....... I'm not interested... Paint it!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
5k is more than what a quality paint job would cost.... with a lifetime warranty.

Vinyl will fade.... eventually, a solid color is easier to match up but you will be able to see the seams... unless you break up the lines.

For that price I would say paint it.

I am not sure about exactly how much it would take to do a Jeep but would guess that it is less than $500 in material for a quality vinyl.

I have a wrap on my Mule, easy to apply - just like window tint. It has been on there since 2008 and sits out in the Texas sun year round and it has not faded.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found lots of pictures of others who have done this and have an estimate appointment later today. Apparently I am the second one this week wanting my Wrangler Unlimited matte black (in a relatively small town).

Will report back later when I got the info. I really think vinyl wrap is the way to go since it can be undone when I want, and the cost should be reasonable. They said for a matched and printed full veh is $1500, so mind should be substantially less they said.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I had kicked the idea around of doing a lower half wrap on mine for a 2 tone look but never really went any farther than figuring out materials

I really dont think it would be hard to do, but it will scratch pretty easily
not like gouging through, but definitely scuffs n scratches on the vinyl

I'd say figure on it lasting 2 good years then starting to go downhill from there if you live in a really sunny area- printed or otherwise.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
We will see if these show up. Here are a few pics I found. I DO NOT own these pics, just found them elsewhere. Still waiting for the price quote. The hardest part about the whole job is the hinges. He told me those would be the time consuming and possibly less than perfect areas. Other than that, I remove as much hardware as I can to prepare it and save a bit of coin.

here are a few of a guy who did textured carbon fiber. Nice job not sure if I like it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
looking forward to the results.

Are they using a black film or a "stealth" film?

I also need to look some more to see if I can get it done cheaper.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looking forward to the results.

Are they using a black film or a "stealth" film?

I also need to look some more to see if I can get it done cheaper.
He showed me a sample. It was quite thin, matte black film. Not sure the diff between the two you mentioned, but this was a flat black film. Odd for me since I really like a shiny clean Jeep still giving it some thought.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
hell just bedline the hinges and stuff if you havent already anyway

take the hinges off - 2 whole bolts each, lay your vinyl, cut out the bolt holes then put the hinges on over it

I'dd do the same around the windshield frame, pull the bolts, lay the vinyl - bedline the colt heads then put them on after the vinyl

you obviously cant vinyl a bolt head anyway, and you dont wanna just go over them.

the door handles are a PITA to get off, so I think they'll suck but otherwise shouldnt be too bad of a job

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I like the wrap on the ATX Wheels JK Offroad Evolution built. Matte olive drab green.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts