JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my jeep started knocking horribly yesterday, stop to check oil and there is none, guess it evaporated or something, so im guessing i toasted a crank bearing or all of them. Anyone ever change them or should i just look at a used motor?? Im estatic this happend when i have no full time job.

· Premium Member
2,017 Posts
You can pick up a good low mileage engine for $1500. Probably the safest bet. You can swap the crank pretty easy without pulling the engine if you have to go low cost.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
It'd really suck if you hit some road debris that punched a whole in your oil pan and insurance could cover it. Good thing that didn't happen! :cwm13:

...But really, there has been a pretty good amount of damage done at this point. If you can get the bearings you can try it, but there is going to be metal within the oiling system that will work it's way through and cause excessive wear again. Have you looked into to see if service parts are readily available?

· Registered
214 Posts
How many miles do you have on the motor? Do you still have the old filter? If so cut it open and check the pleats in the filter if there is no metal in there you might be lucky and have no damage? If there is a lot of metal your best bet would probably be a used motor because you could get into more then that by the time you do the cam rod and crank bearings and machining if your going to go that far you would be better off doing a complete engine rebuild with new pistons and rings... If it ain't leaking oil it's burning it through the head or rings!

· Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do have the filter still, and it has about 73k on it. i think im gonna go with a used engine, i cant be without a vehicle for weeks while im waiting on a machine shop and parts.

CHECK YOUR OIL EVERY TIME YOU GET GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im gonna be spending a few thousand because of $20 woth of oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.