JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here watched The Ultimate Fighter last night when "Kimbo Slice":mr-t: fought "Big Country"?

It seemed set up to me. Especially when Kimbo:mr-t: would be taken down and just layed there taking those "hits" to the head.

Looks like they are building up the fact that Marcus is injured and has no cardio opening another spot for Kimbo:mr-t: later in the season....

James

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Dude looked like a turtle..... he has no ground skills. He is a brawler and fatboy tried to go toe to toe for a few and realized that he had better take it to the ground where Kimbo was out of his element. I was F'n pissed.... I have to get up at 4am and I stayed up to watch that crappy ass fight.

It was terrible.

I hope it was not a set up... if it was it will get out eventually.

And Marcus.... that dude is a big mo-fo but for as big as he is he sure whines a lot. The workouts are intense but it is no big secret - you better show up ready to rumble. I was looking forward to the heavyweights but so far its been a disappointment. Dana is a pretty good business man and you know that he has to be pissed at the performance by Kimbo.. .and the TKO was crap - those punches were BS.... I am still pissed about that crap pile of a fight. The ref almost called it in the 1st... if you heard him telling Kimbo to "do something" over and over. He was saved by the bell.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was anyone else fighting they would have stopped the fight at the end of the 1st round because he wasn't defending himself.

The fights have been pretty disappointing so far except the 1st bloody one.

Last week's fight was a joke because the guys were so winded that all they could do was stand there with their hands on their hips catching a breath.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"Big Country" called it the night before the fight. There's a scene where they are all sitting outside and he makes the comment that it didn't matter how hard you hit the fighter, as long as he isn't "intelligently defending himself," they have to stop it. He had it planned all along.
Pretty crappy way to win, if you ask me.
That is not why that rule is there. It's to keep people from being beat senseless when they have no way out.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
"Big Country" called it the night before the fight. There's a scene where they are all sitting outside and he makes the comment that it didn't matter how hard you hit the fighter, as long as he isn't "intelligently defending himself," they have to stop it. He had it planned all along.
Pretty crappy way to win, if you ask me.
That is not why that rule is there. It's to keep people from being beat senseless when they have no way out.
Exactly! He pinned his arms - which is a good move, he knew that Kimbo had some crash training and probably focused his attention on escaping the guard, defending the shoot - which he did poorly - and once he got him down he just used his body to pin his arms.... even if you have use of your arms getting a decent punch in from your back is a b!tch. Kimbo had no clue what to do and big boy knew it. He just tapped on his head.....

I have seen just about all of Kimbo's street brawling vids and only a few went toe to toe - the skinny white dude (for those who remember) worked him over but damn he could take a punch... I was surprised that big boy didn't take him down sooner. He had to know that he could not last long standing in the middle of the ring trading punches.... He figured it out pretty quick after a few punches were landed.

Kimbo tried.... he pretty much did what his coach told him when he could "hands up" "move to the center" etc.... he was just out of his element on his back. I cannot believe he didn't do some serious training before the show, I know that you cannot learn jujitsu over night but damn......

It was funny after the fight when he said that he wasn't upset... and then changed his mind and told the truth. Dude seems like someone who wants to learn - you cannot criticize his work ethic... he just needs to spend some time on his back....

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
my wife even thought it was a joke, they called the fight do to kimbo getting "love taps" on top of his head, dana (the owner) even thought it was retarted.

and kimbo with upper body strength from hell couldn't push or twist something on that fat blubber ass to get him to either let go or get the hell off, come on. kimbo was a street fighter from hell back in the day, and fat bastard wins by laying on him. yeah right.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Never been a Kimbo fan even though I use to watch him on-line all the time.
I have gained respect for him since being on the Ultimate Fighter especially @ the end when he Made the comment regarding His Loss. I think they threw him to the the Wolves to Fast and should have started from the bottom Up.
Big Country has had alot more fights and really did not Impress me @ all in the fight.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
I was never really a Kimbo fan either, but after seeing him on the Ultimate Fighter i changed my mind. I still think it was piss poor last night. He looks like hes thinking too much. In a situation like last night, he needs to do what he does best. Another thing, if i could give him one piece of advice, i would tell him when he is being taken down, start trying to get up before he even hits the ground. Why i think i know anything, i have no idea.....:D

corey d

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
The ref should've stood them up. It was real damn clear that the noogies Kimbo was getting on the ground weren't doing crap and were the bare minimum of activity. I'll be disappointed if Roy Nelson ends up being the 'best' heavyweight the UFC could scrounge up for the show.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I thought that fat guy was going to just suffocate him with that huge beer gut. Fight was lame, but Kimbo is a stiff IMO. Looks intimidating, and has shown to ability to KO slobs on the street, but in anything close to a professional fight he hasn't shown much of anything. They are trying really hard to make something of this guy.

WHile the ending wasn't exciting, the fat guy did earn dominant position and was scoring (even if not hurting) Kimbo, not his fault Kimbo has no ability to do anything on the ground other than lay there and take it like a biatch.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
The ref should've stood them up.
As long as one fighter is "working" most refs won't stand them up - they will TKO it if a fighter is not fighting back... hence the TKO that almost came in the 1st round and finally in the 2nd.

That is the best description of what he was getting that I have seen.:laughing:

I thought that fat guy was going to just suffocate him with that huge beer gut. Fight was lame, but Kimbo is a stiff IMO. Looks intimidating, and has shown to ability to KO slobs on the street, but in anything close to a professional fight he hasn't shown much of anything. They are trying really hard to make something of this guy.

WHile the ending wasn't exciting, the fat guy did earn dominant position and was scoring (even if not hurting) Kimbo, not his fault Kimbo has no ability to do anything on the ground other than lay there and take it like a biatch.
I think you pretty much nailed it.

:beer:

·
Registered
961 Posts
It was a joke and a horrible one at that... I was lucky enough to have just turned the TV on in time to see the fight, had I have been watching the whole show just to see that mess go down I'd be pissed...

·
Registered
725 Posts
i cant stand kimbo and im glad he is gone even if it was a cheap fight

·
Registered
725 Posts
yeah i know but i just cant stand him i respect the fact that he is going from know nothing to trying but their are fighters i just cant stand for some reason but dana is a smart man and kimbo means ratings so i dont blame him for bring a joker like him into the ring

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It was pretty bad. You could tell Nelson was nervous, had some ring rust ( from not fighting in quite some time), and went in there with a plan. Was it an unexciting plan? Yes. Was it effective? Yes. The fights are only 2 rounds, so a decision would've gone to Roy, anyway.

Kimbo should've used his strength to buck Nelson and throw him off balance, then try to escape. Fact is, he did nothing but lay there and tuck his face in. He bridged once (and almost reversed position)...but never tried anything else. That fight was his to win or lose....and he lost it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was never really a Kimbo fan either, but after seeing him on the Ultimate Fighter i changed my mind. I still think it was piss poor last night. He looks like hes thinking too much. In a situation like last night, he needs to do what he does best. Another thing, if i could give him one piece of advice, i would tell him when he is being taken down, start trying to get up before he even hits the ground. Why i think i know anything, i have no idea.....:D

corey d
Exactly man. I've been a Kimbo fan for a long time. I think he has an awesome style and could be a great fighter, but when it comes to takedown defense he over thinks it. It's like he's trying to remember what to do as he's being taken down. Too many trainers trying to groom him and it's clouding his true style. He has a rhythm that makes him hard to hit and when he wants to hit you he can and will. He needs to be more agreesive from the start and knock guys the fvck out.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
It was pretty bad. You could tell Nelson was nervous, had some ring rust ( from not fighting in quite some time), and went in there with a plan. Was it an unexciting plan? Yes. Was it effective? Yes. The fights are only 2 rounds, so a decision would've gone to Roy, anyway.

Kimbo should've used his strength to buck Nelson and throw him off balance, then try to escape. Fact is, he did nothing but lay there and tuck his face in. He bridged once (and almost reversed position)...but never tried anything else. That fight was his to win or lose....and he lost it.
Remember what Royce Gracie made everyone look like back when UFC started...... they didn't know what to do when they got on their backs. And he was usually smaller than the ones that he was fighting, but had better technique. Suddenly everyone HAD to mix in some jitsu or they were going to get owned. It was cool to watch the sport evolve, it changed everything. It went from Kenpo vs tae kwon do etc... to MMA.

Dude is a brawler and he should have known better than to show up with no ground skills.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you follow MMA you would Know That Dana White does not Like Kimbo which is why he is not in the UFC. The only way that Kimbo makes the UFC is thru the Ultimate Fighter.Sure he will bring In lots of $ but needs to Improve His Game. I am still amazed that Kimbo has No Ground game after training with Boss "El Wapo" Rutten.If you Look @ all the great MMA Fighters they Mostly all have the same thing in Common "GROUND GAME" which is what Kimbo is lacking in a very bad way.Sure Big country weighed in @ 264 but probably fought @ 270/280 but it seamed that Kimbo did not really try to get out from Underneath Him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts