JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about taking the 10 hour drive and spending a week there. Looks like it has fun dunes to play on, beaches for my kids, and water fun.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It is a blast..Do not go on a holiday weekend, long lines to get in:pissed:Non holiday weekends are great, nice mixture of rigs and people.
I would plan on doing more than the Dunes, after two days you will be ready for something else. Hit a couple Off Road Parks on your way to make it that much enjoyable.:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Its a lot of fun, but like he said, I would plan to do other things around the area. The whole west coast of Michigan is gorgeous and has a lot of picturesque boating towns. Silver Lake is a blast, and my tip is to hit the dunes right after a rainstorm because there's typically a lot less people on them and the sand is packed down a bit more allowing for more speed. The JK is able to make every ascent on every dune, even though test hill looks scary and so do some of the others. Here's a cool pic from one of my times there...

When the sand is dryer, the top of the dunes have extremely loose sand and you'll want to keep your wheel speed pretty consistent without pegging the gas too hard. You don't want to air it out, but you also don't want this to happen:

It took us about an hour to dig out from that.

This pic will give you a little bit of an idea of how big the dunes actually are:

But if you're looking for stuff to do for an entire week, I would recommend checking out some of the coastal towns along the western coast. I enjoyed Sagautuck, Pentwater, Grand Haven, and a couple others. You might want to also check out Sleeping Bear Dunes where you can't drive but there's the most gigantic and steep dune I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes.

And if you're looking to wheel in MIchigan, you've always got Rocks and Valleys and Bundy Hill, my 2 favorite offroad parks in the state.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a lot of fun, but like he said, I would plan to do other things around the area. The whole west coast of Michigan is gorgeous and has a lot of picturesque boating towns. Silver Lake is a blast, and my tip is to hit the dunes right after a rainstorm because there's typically a lot less people on them and the sand is packed down a bit more allowing for more speed. The JK is able to make every ascent on every dune, even though test hill looks scary and so do some of the others. Here's a cool pic from one of my times there...

When the sand is dryer, the top of the dunes have extremely loose sand and you'll want to keep your wheel speed pretty consistent without pegging the gas too hard. You don't want to air it out, but you also don't want this to happen:

It took us about an hour to dig out from that.

This pic will give you a little bit of an idea of how big the dunes actually are:

But if you're looking for stuff to do for an entire week, I would recommend checking out some of the coastal towns along the western coast. I enjoyed Sagautuck, Pentwater, Grand Haven, and a couple others. You might want to also check out Sleeping Bear Dunes where you can't drive but there's the most gigantic and steep dune I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes.

And if you're looking to wheel in MIchigan, you've always got Rocks and Valleys and Bundy Hill, my 2 favorite offroad parks in the state.
Oh that sounds great! The plan is to take my kids, hit the dunes, camp, get some beach time in, shop, etc. I'm just worried about going alone. My winch wont do me much good there unless I have a second person with me lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Silver Lake

Used to go all the time growing up in Michigan. Great place to spend a few days! You can park your rig very close to the beach and swim/wheel all day. As others have suggested the West Coast of MI is very nice with plenty to see. If you don't mind driving a bit further North, the Mackinaw Area, especially Mackinaw Island is quite a sight. If you are really up for an adventure try Drummond Island.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depending on when you plan on going I will be at silver lake from july 15th till july 24th with about 5 other jeepers. If you are planning on being up that way around then we are all willing to help if you have any problems and you are more than welcome to tag along or stop by the campsite.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depending on when you plan on going I will be at silver lake from july 15th till july 24th with about 5 other jeepers. If you are planning on being up that way around then we are all willing to help if you have any problems and you are more than welcome to tag along or stop by the campsite.
I am actually going to be there July 18th-22nd. I will definitely for you guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am actually going to be there July 18th-22nd. I will definitely for you guys.
Great, we will all be at Silver Lake State Park camping when not out and about on the dunes.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's a fun time there but after a few days gets boring quick because there isn't much ground you can cover... now if you have a boat, I'd think you could easily spend a week there between it and the Heep!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts