JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
It's not bad, my father has one; I haven't spent to much time behind it, once at the range and the time he had a skunk issue at the farm. More fun then .22mag, wind is hell on it but with a good scope and a calm evening you can explode Skunk heads at 50yrds no problem. We shot a round into a drum of water just to see what the round would look like after fire. Don't expect to find a bullet; the round came apart. I could only find some small copper fragments and the orange plastic tip. For a little round it packs a punch. I'd bet it would raise hell in someones melon.

· Registered
271 Posts
I have a savage. I like it alot. I use it for coyotes. Takes 'em down, no problem. I like it because it is accurate and not to loud. My 8 year old son can hit a bottle cap an average of 3 out of 5 times at 80 yards. Have fun:beer:

· Registered
16 Posts
I bought a used Henry 17HMR Varmint gun with a bushnell scope. I sited it in at 100 yards.

I haven't gone varmint hunting with it yet but I plan to do some rabbit hunting when I get back home. I chose the 17 cause it has better ballistics then the snub nose of the 22 and the ballistic tip adds more resistance to wind then the 22. It's still a small round and is affected by wind and has a relatively short affective distance when comapred to larger varmint rounds like the 223. but I've heard nothing but good things about this round as long as people look at it objectively.

My buddy routinely takes out coyotes on his property at 100 yards with 1-2 shots with his Savage bolt action 17HMR

· Registered
915 Posts
I have a savage bolt action. That thing is accurate as hell. I can take the eraser off a pencil at 100 yards with no wind of course. Might take 2 shots but its sweet. I put in an adjustable trigger and have a ton of fun with it.

· Registered
144 Posts
i have a cz in 17 hmr. I havent shot a really accurate semi auto but all i have shot is the rugers and remingtons which are discontinued. I will shoot a ground hog out to 300 yards with my bolt action. the 17 is great out of a long barrel but dissapointing out of a shorter one. I have better luck out of the winchester 17 gr ballistic tip rounds from my cz

· Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I have the Savage .17HMR bolt action, (probably the same as those above). I love it, acurate as hell. Took awhile to get everything dialed in, but with some quality CCI ammo I can hit empty shotgun shells at 100yds pretty consistently. Gonna take it out on some ground squirels come spring, should do fine. I know it will drop a jack rabbit in its tracks at 85yds.

· Registered
6 Posts
17 HMR

I had/have a Ruger Model 77/17VMBBZ 17 HMR, arguably a top of the line bolt action rifle.
Using HMR Brand 17 grain plastic tipped rounds, I consistently shot caps off of water bottles at 100 years off of a rest.
The 'had' part of the equation is that it had a round detonate in the chamber and the rifle would no longer operate.
The 'have' portion of the equation is that Ruger replaced it with a new rifle even though it was 4 years old.

I'd buy another one tomorrow if I was in the market.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Love shooting my Savage! Do this test and you won't beleive it. Shoot the Hornady Varmit express(hollow point, 20 grain bullet) at a can of beer or pop full of water, then shoot the VMax (17 grain, red tipped) at a second.

Come back and let me know what you think! Have a ton of cans and water around because it's a blast and you won't be able to stop yourself!

· Registered
141 Posts
I got a 93R17 just before Thanksgiving - took it out to the sighting in range finally this past weekend. I got the camo package w/ scope at Gander for less than $400 out the door. Anyhow, didn't realize the scope was variable zoom, so at 50yds, was just aiming for the center of the target at the lowest power (3x I think), put 5 rounds in under a quarter sized spread before my brother asked if I had zoomed in. ha! Was shooting low and to the left. So, zoomed in to 9x, brother adjusted me up and right a few clicks and now that I could actually see where I was shooting, took 3 shots to get me an inch high of the bullseye. 10 rounds later, was shooting dimed sized groups. Range was pretty full, so didn't get to move it out to 100 yds, but an inch high at 50, he said I'll be dead on at 100 and 2 inches low at 200 - going to use it for predator hunting, so either way, I'll be dead on for what I'm using it for. Don't have any pics of my rifle, but here's the stock pic and a link from the Savage website:

link to 93R17 Camo Combo

· Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I got a 93R17 just before Thanksgiving - took it out to the sighting in range finally this past weekend. I got the camo package w/ scope at Gander for less than $400 out the door. Anyhow, didn't realize the scope was variable zoom, so at 50yds, was just aiming for the center of the target at the lowest power (3x I think), put 5 rounds in under a quarter sized spread before my brother asked if I had zoomed in. ha! Was shooting low and to the left. So, zoomed in to 9x, brother adjusted me up and right a few clicks and now that I could actually see where I was shooting, took 3 shots to get me an inch high of the bullseye. 10 rounds later, was shooting dimed sized groups. Range was pretty full, so didn't get to move it out to 100 yds, but an inch high at 50, he said I'll be dead on at 100 and 2 inches low at 200 - going to use it for predator hunting, so either way, I'll be dead on for what I'm using it for. Don't have any pics of my rifle, but here's the stock pic and a link from the Savage website:

link to 93R17 Camo Combo
I would go back to the sighting range asd sight it for 100yds. The problem with the .17hmr is if your an inch high at 50yds, your gonna be near an inch high at 100yds. My savage has a nearly flat trajectory out to 110yds, we are talking maybe .10 MOA difference from 50 to 110yds.

· Registered
141 Posts
I would go back to the sighting range asd sight it for 100yds. The problem with the .17hmr is if your an inch high at 50yds, your gonna be near an inch high at 100yds. My savage has a nearly flat trajectory out to 110yds, we are talking maybe .10 MOA difference from 50 to 110yds.
Thanks for the suggestion - His assessment was based on how his .17 shoots with Hornady VMax rounds - same as what I was shooting. The Varmint Express rounds act more like you're describing in his gun. I figure it's close enough for fox and coyote, but as soon as I can get back to the range, I do plan on putting it out to 100 and seeing where they fly. Hopefully this weekend I'll be at the range and out calling in some fox to test it for real ;-)

· Registered
144 Posts
99 percent of the time I use my 17 for groundhogs in hay fields and christmas tree farms. I shoot over 2 inches high at 100 yards but I set up and watch a field and wont be shooting closer anyway. as far as coyotes go I will shoot one but I dont expect them to fall quickly at those distances. The first picture is a nice gun but has the scope mounted pretty high above the bore because of the large objective and screw on weaver mount which will hurt if you want to shoot longer distances but it just depends what you want to use it for. Regardless The only people I have heard who didnt like there 17s were the ones who bought a remington semi auto since there is a buy back on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.