JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This “port” has been on my JK sense I bought it in 2012. I’m the second owner, I’ve noticed it before but never paid any attention to it. I just found it has two black wires from it that run over to the TIPM and go under it. I have no clue what it is maybe someone could shred some light.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Socket for a removable brake controller? Do you have a 7-pin trailer connector?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Brake controller only needs 4wires. My guess is a anti theft or a add on that companies use when people finance when they have bad credit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Brake controller only needs 4wires. My guess is a anti theft or a add on that companies use when people finance when they have bad credit.

I think he was talking about where the trailer plugs in to the Jeep.
7 pin would have the extra wires for electric breaks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking alarm system. But to take the guess work out of it, I'm going to take it somewhere like an audio shop as someone suggested and see if they can tell me.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
This “port” has been on my JK sense I bought it in 2012. I’m the second owner, I’ve noticed it before but never paid any attention to it. I just found it has two black wires from it that run over to the TIPM and go under it. I have no clue what it is maybe someone could shred some light.
could it be the PO had an aftermarket ERM* installed ?

(*electronic rodent mitigation)

@StubEXrube could use something like that ....

:dustin:

:jeep2:

(I’m gonna go with some kinda monitoring display for system settings or maybe some additional camper lighting or audio or entertainment connector...)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Insurance companies use these to monitor your driving habits for discounts , typically they were just plugged into the OBD port , but some were tapped into this type of port so as not to block the OBD for service reasons .

I have never seen that type before personally but I'm aware they exist .
Another Tech said that that particular type has an anti-tamper feature to keep the client honest .

FWIW an insurance company worried about honesty is laughable at best .

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Yeah, that's a dealer installed profit maker that the finance person sells you for way too much.

There is a little circuit board inside of that slot that you dig out. They try to sell you a circuit board with a key fob on it for ~$372.94. It's not even a "circuit board" in the sense that you are thinking either. No IC chips, capacitors or resistors. Just jumprs that are etched out on the copper traces.

Sometimes dealers get this junk on dealer trade from another dealer. There are dealers out there who install this crap at the time the new car is PDI'd. and then just try to sell you the crap key fob when you are "in the booth" (AKA finance office). They leave the crap on the car whether you are naive enough to buy the key fob or not.

Just trace all the wires and remove it. They probably had to splice it in somewhere and you may need to do a minor wire repair. It should be just two wires where they interrupted one of the circuits, like ignition system or fuel pump power feed. Hard to know how the PDI monkey wired it in.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You trolling Honda civic forums? :wink2:
Not yet. Not even a "lurker" - yet. That was the first hit on a search but I knew what I was looking for. I am completely guilt of trolling the Honda Odyssey forum, though, because I have one of those in the stable. Grandma is driving around in a Civic that is about due for a timing belt so I'll be doing that and may troll the Civic forums if I need to.

Anyway, not averse to Hondas since I am a long since retired factory trained Mazda / Subaru master tech that has removed more than one of these crap anti theft / max dealer profit devices, even on my own personal NEW car that came in as a dealer trade. I still have vague recollection of a car coming into the shop pushing a tow truck where the circuit board shifted and broke contact and the customer never bought the key and had no clue the device existed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts