JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rubi sway bar motor went out and I'm thinking about replacing it with the seemingly more dependable manual evo version. I'm curious how people like it. I'm at the dealership now and they're replacing my entire sway bar assembly and I'm exploring my options of manual release so I can get rid of the e-disco so I don't run into this again.

Does it use the housing and gears for the e-disco or does it come with a new housing and set up? What all does installation involve? How do you like it?

Any input is appreciated.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think it's worth $80 to keep me from spending 4+ hours at the dealership to get it all replaced again. I just heard back from Evo and they said the same about the install so I may just go ahead and order it

On a good note, The service manager and Jeep came through for me in a big way and replaced the entire sway bar assembly top to bottom. Manager said it would have cost almost $3,000 so I can't complain too much about sitting there for a few hours

· Registered
273 Posts
anyone have a pic of it installed? I know it is just a knob, but I am curious how much of the electronic stuff goes away .... really curious if you still need skid protection below the bumper with this installed.

· Super Moderator
5,103 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I think it's worth $80 to keep me from spending 4+ hours at the dealership to get it all replaced again. I just heard back from Evo and they said the same about the install so I may just go ahead and order it

On a good note, The service manager and Jeep came through for me in a big way and replaced the entire sway bar assembly top to bottom. Manager said it would have cost almost $3,000 so I can't complain too much about sitting there for a few hours
$3,000 better have a happy ending sway bar for that kind of coin-wt-lol

Is this thing on?

· Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
anyone have a pic of it installed? I know it is just a knob, but I am curious how much of the electronic stuff goes away .... really curious if you still need skid protection below the bumper with this installed.
You remove the entire plug, motor and plunger assembly. The knob and plate bolts to the flange where the motor use to be. You lose almost half the mass.

· Registered
273 Posts
You remove the entire plug, motor and plunger assembly. The knob and plate bolts to the flange where the motor use to be. You lose almost half the mass.
Think you still need skid protection?

· Registered
273 Posts
Thanks. I have a full skid coming down from my LoD bumper...was just curious if I went this route if I could get rid of it.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
For 80$ you aren't getting much. A flat plate, a welded on nut, and a bolt replace the motor and plunger.
Yep, Bthomas has one, I keep meaning to draw one in CAD so I can just make my own to have on hand. Wouldn't take much.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, Bthomas has one, I keep meaning to draw one in CAD so I can just make my own to have on hand. Wouldn't take much.
Damn that's a good idea. It'd be worth trying at least.

If i can find out part sizes and everything I might run up to my uncle's and see if we can home brew one

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. When I got mine I was a little peeved at what I got for my money. There's a reason they dont have any pics of the inside of one on their site. A plate, nut, bolt, knob, spring, and a washer that's it.
hahaha yeah I wondered why they only show a pic of the finished product. I'm hoping I can find out somehow what it's made of and sizes and save some dough

· Registered
1,520 Posts
anyone have the installation instructions?

I KNOW it is simple as hell, but I have seen mention of a washer. I do not have said washer and need to know size and location of it. I have the spring and everything else with the bar.

· Banned
2,341 Posts
I emailed evo when I installed mine. My instructions made no mention of the spring. I mentioned this in my email and was emailed a copy of the same instructions.
I am guessing the spring is a replacement for the one that pushes the collar back to lock, i didn't use it.
The positive thing is that I have an emailed copy of the instructions.
Pm me your email, i'll fwd the instructions. I don't remember the washer thickness, (maybe 1/8") but the dia is what fits in the 'cup'.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
PM sent.

I just picked up a rubi bar with the EVO kit. and am trying to get it working and installed this week.

I know I have the plate, knob, and stud, and the spring is on the stud that looks like it would "press" in on whatever unlocks the bar.

once the snow settles I will go out to the JK and get the EVO stuff I have and snap a pic.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
here is a pic of what I got

I FB messaged EVO and emailed them via their website with no response. Maybe due to the Hammer prep...or that I was honest and told them I didnt buy it new from them? LOL

· Registered
136 Posts
Its not a horrible price but if you can make one yourself, do it. (And post pics!)

Ill probably end up buying one of these in the future if noone else has a better solution. Just hate giving evo any more of my business.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.