JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 transmission likes to whine a bit since I've bought it. Its the only other manual JK I've driven so I'm not sure if they're all like that or not. It shifts fine and we did a fluid change on it and the old fluid wasn't noticeably bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Wish you could post an audio clip. Hard to know if it's a normal sound or not without hearing. More details might be useful as well... while in gear? same whine throughout all gears? while warm? while cold? loud? not that loud? constant? intermittent/ random? etc. I've got a manual trans 2008 and it doesn't whine necessarily but it does produce more sound than most autos I've driven.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys im normally better than that.

Constant, cold or warm (might be worse while cold gotta double check.) while in gear only and loudest in the first few gears. Its not anything too loud to where I'm super concerned, but it is louder than other manual vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have a whine or grind to mine. The noise is more pronounced in even gears numbers 2/4/6. 1/3/5 are quieter, but still a small whine/grinding type noise.

There is the rattle as well, that most people say is the heat shield on the exhaust.

·
Registered
288 Posts
does the whine correlate with RPMs? like get louder during higher RPMs? i have that going on right now (most likely the tension pulley).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a whine or grind to mine. The noise is more pronounced in even gears numbers 2/4/6. 1/3/5 are quieter, but still a small whine/grinding type noise.

There is the rattle as well, that most people say is the heat shield on the exhaust.
I have rattles we all have rattles lol. But this is a whine not a grinding noise.

does the whine correlate with RPMs? like get louder during higher RPMs? i have that going on right now (most likely the tension pulley).
Louder as the rpms climb.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
testing it today I think its coming from my engine because at speed if I put it in neutral it doesn't whine. Only when the RPMS are up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
have you gone wheeling lately? mud and/or water? sounds like tension pulley, if it is it will only get louder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts