JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a JKU without removing the hard top? Just got a 2012 and the soft top is installed inside the hard top. I know the manual says to remove the hard top in order to remove the soft top when shipped from the factory, and to not have both tops installed at once. So I'm just wondering if I really have to pull the hard top to get it out or if y'all have figured out a way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I pulled my hardtop off my 2012 JKU to get the soft top out.
Well if I hadn't seen TWO of you post here, I would've been calling shenanigans. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how the soft top can fit inside the hard top.

·
Research, bro!
2,219 Posts
Sawzall works wonders...

Just pull the hardtop. You'll spend more time and effort and probably break/bend something if you don't.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You will definitely have to take the hardtop off. The first time I did this I disconnected everything hard and soft top wise. I then got got in the back and lifted the hardtop just high enough to have my wife and another person slide the soft top out.
My method now is an 8' stick of barndoor track from Tractor Supply with wheels and a 110v electric hoist.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
I'm so confused.... pics ?

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts
I think the OP meant the sunrider top was stored collapsed within the Jeep ,under the Freedom Top (right?) ....dual tops and the bracketry and softtop were in place but folded down ...if not ,then it is shenanigans ....

Here's a YouTube video ....reverse this process ,uninstall the softtop stuff and then install your hardtop....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Ok, yeah, much different than I was trying to picture in my head. I'm with everyone else here; you're going to have to at least unbolt the HT and lift, if not remove it. It's not heavy, just awkward, so it's a piece 'o cake for you and a buddy/reasonably sturdy spouse/child to remove.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i have a pulley system on my garage ceiling and can lift the top off with one hand.

without pulleys, you can probably still remove it yourself but it will be difficult. with a friend (even a relatively weak friend) you will easily be able to remove the top. the top doesn't weigh a lot, but it needs to be balanced while lifting or it will be a pain in the butt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts