JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 33" Goodyear Duratracs on 17" x 8" rims and the tire/rim weight combination is 83 lbs. I always find it a struggle to lift the tire up and at the same time try and align the three studs on the factory tailgate mount with the three holes in the rim.

Anybody have any tips or techniques to help?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Upside down 3-4" drop hitch helps a little

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
My spare weighs around 115 lbs, and it's a beesh to put on the spare holder.

I set the tire on my knee, using my knee to support it while my hands are 90% guidance / 10% lifting.

Oh, and try swearing a lot while mounting your spare.
- doesn't make it easier, but you feel better & people stay dafook away while you're ~110% pissed off :laughing:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

I set the tire on my knee, using my knee to support it while my hands are 90% guidance / 10% lifting.

- doesn't make it easier, but you feel better & people stay dafook away while you're ~110% pissed off :laughing:
That's how I do it.

I don't have photo, but just imagine a monkey and a football.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts

godamn cussin' fukin' goin in the freakin' goddarn holes mother f*ckin stud..OUCH dammit ....*sound of heavy mmmetal part clanking onto concrete * ATRGH!!!

yep.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I were you I’d ditch the stock carrier and get the Smittybilt 2743 spare tire carrier. Much better than stock and cheap. I got mine for like $80 but you can find one for around $100. Just make sure you have more than 4” backspacing otherwise your tires won’t hit the tire stopper. I had to flip mine to fit as my rims are 15x10 -44 offset (3.75 backspacing).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Funny you say that, when I was in school I was tossing around an idea to design an easier way to lift spare tires off the back of jeeps. We ultimately went with a different project but this may have sparked my interest in revisiting it. Unfortunately, I don't think the market would be strong enough to provide a product for such a specific use. I hate even lining up my 41.5's on the axles, I couldn't imagine trying to lift it onto a spare carrier. When I go to the new Pro X's, I'll get a spare and it will be staying on the trailer!

Questions for you though: Would you agree it would be significantly easier to get the spare on and off if the mounting point was ground level and you only had to lift it an inch or so as if you were putting it on the axle? How much would you be willing to pay for a product that virtually eliminated the need to lift the spare? I feel like with all the aftermarket companies out there with R&D engineers, there has to be a reason that a product doesn't exist yet.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
. . .
Questions for you though: Would you agree it would be significantly easier to get the spare on and off if the mounting point was ground level and you only had to lift it an inch or so as if you were putting it on the axle? How much would you be willing to pay for a product that virtually eliminated the need to lift the spare? I feel like with all the aftermarket companies out there with R&D engineers, there has to be a reason that a product doesn't exist yet.
HD Customs did it this way: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/jk-new-product-news/21806-hd-switchblade-rear-bumper-tire-carrier.html

Dunno how much they wanted for it, but it appears it was more than a ton of people were wiling to pay because it appears they're no longer in business and nobody else offered another solution

( until maybe you, now :dunno: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts