JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm thinking about doing an upstairs bathroom reno and was wanting to get some feedback before i dive balls deep in ripping shit up and getting too ahead of myself. basically i'm wanting to move my existing sink where my shitty shower is, and put a new stand up shower where my sink is, and then move my toilet about 4-5 ft from its location now. i've had people at work say that the shower/sink swap won't be hard, but moving the toilet is a PITA and not to do it. but if i move the shower then it's a must to move the toilet. i would also have to move an air vent, but i'm not to worried about that. i have a feeling that i would have to prety much rip up my tiled flooring that i have but how hard is it to cut out a new toilet hole? i'm not very handy, but i like to do project myself around the house and i would be doing the instal and labor all by my lonesome. so on a scale of 1-10 how would you guys rate this idea? thanks in advance... :beer:

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
all ive done is replace my toilet, replace sink and tile floor, id say what you want to do is a 10 , the hard part will be moving the toilet, you will def have to rip up the floor to move the drain for the toilet (think its called a closet flange). thats more than id get into with out some help from someone who know what their doing

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It isn't as big a deal if the floor joists are running the right way. There are two ways to do the plumbing, from the top, or from the bottom. Either way, if your not very handy, I would contract it out if I were you.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bathrooms are the biggest PITA and moving the toilet is one of them. I would find a handy friend or get someone in there to just do the plumbing piece for you.

This is the only reason why I am not adding a bathroom to my basement, the toilet would cause too much work.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I added a 2nd bathroom to my house from scratch and did the remodel to my original bathroom along the lines of what you are talking about and it is a mf'er. Unless you really have some skills I'd suggest getting a salty buddy to help or just have pros do it. If you do have it done you should be able to find a contractor that will let you do some of the grunt work to save some money, him do the tricking plumbing, and then you do the easy stuff (demo, mount the sink, toilet, and do the fiinish work)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice. So what I'm gathering is that I could pretty much do the sink and shower but pay someone to do the toilet. sounds good.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Advice from a lic. Mass plumber save the aggrivation and pay to have the plumbing rough done with the new layout and then do the finish yourself ! Do the demo ect and do the new drywall and tile but leave the plumbing to a Lic Professinal. I am not saying DIY are not capable of changing a fixture or two but you are talking about a whole bathroom remodel including new fixture layouts > there are way to many variables to take into consideration one of which was previously mentioned joist layout and which way they are running in conjuntion w the "new layout " . I would hate to see you do this and have something go wrong 6 months later after you spend twice as much trying to save a buck. Just as there are probably some talented DYI on here that that can swap out gears and rebuild engines it is something I would never attemp:beer:My advice to you would be find a Lic plumber with good refferals that does work on the side or is layed off at this time make sure he has insurance if he burns your house down :Dand see if you can work w him to save a buck !! If you so choose to do this I wish you the best of luck:beer: and to those who disagree with my reply:thefinger:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Advice from a lic. Mass plumber save the aggrivation and pay to have the plumbing rough done with the new layout and then do the finish yourself ! Do the demo ect and do the new drywall and tile but leave the plumbing to a Lic Professinal. I am not saying DIY are not capable of changing a fixture or two but you are talking about a whole bathroom remodel including new fixture layouts > there are way to many variables to take into consideration one of which was previously mentioned joist layout and which way they are running in conjuntion w the "new layout " . I would hate to see you do this and have something go wrong 6 months later after you spend twice as much trying to save a buck. Just as there are probably some talented DYI on here that that can swap out gears and rebuild engines it is something I would never attemp:beer:My advice to you would be find a Lic plumber with good refferals that does work on the side or is layed off at this time make sure he has insurance if he burns your house down :Dand see if you can work w him to save a buck !! If you so choose to do this I wish you the best of luck:beer: and to those who disagree with my reply:thefinger:
x2. There are places you can skimp on cost but the hard plumbing is not one of them IMO.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
This is the only reason why I am not adding a bathroom to my basement, the toilet would cause too much work.
Don't be afraid to do a toilet. I put one of these in my basement. It's hidden in the wall, and all the plumbing for the sink, shower, urinal (yes, urinal), and wash basin (in the laundry room on the opposite side of the wall from the sink) is hidden in the wall, too, so the only way you'll know it's there is when the pump runs. It's really an awesome setup.

http://www.saniflo.com/homeowners/sfa-product-line/sanibest-pro-product-description/

·
Registered
383 Posts
yes those are one option when doing a basement remodel when your sanitary drain enters thru the foundation above the foor but not suited for a second floor lnstalation as he was looking to do.:beer:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the advice. i will definatley go that route. i was just wanting to get some feedback before i went ahead with the project. i'm thinking just as long as i can get the shower and sink done, i will still have a usable downstairs toilet while the upstairs is being done. thanks alot guys! :beer:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Its a little out of the way!!! although i have been laid off for the last couple of weeks ive been very busy around the house catching up on house projects and looking at all the mods i could be doing w all this spare time :D when you have the time the cash is not there for the spending and when you have the cash theres no time !!!I have been enjoying walking the kids to school and just winding down a bit. work should be picking up in boston again soon and hopefully be back out there soon enough:D:beer:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Don't be afraid to do a toilet. I put one of these in my basement. It's hidden in the wall, and all the plumbing for the sink, shower, urinal (yes, urinal), and wash basin (in the laundry room on the opposite side of the wall from the sink) is hidden in the wall, too, so the only way you'll know it's there is when the pump runs. It's really an awesome setup.

http://www.saniflo.com/homeowners/sfa-product-line/sanibest-pro-product-description/
you have a urinal in your house? how did you manage that?pic?

never thought i would ask for a pic of another mans urinal.lol
:laughing:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
you have a urinal in your house? how did you manage that?pic?

never thought i would ask for a pic of another mans urinal.lol
:laughing:

... and this is where my TV is gonna hang in the family room. :)

yes those are one option when doing a basement remodel when your sanitary drain enters thru the foundation above the foor but not suited for a second floor lnstalation as he was looking to do.:beer:
Yeah, that was aimed at the other guy, not the OP. I guess I kinda threadjacked it a little, but not too much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
not sure what you were aiming at ? seems like you are a seasoned DIY and a capable person:beer: , the original poster i believe said he was not handy at all thats why i suggested hiring it out. Im all for saving money where i can !!! looks good any finished pics?:beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts