JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to get a new Rubicon (although depending on certain things this may change to an X) in the next year.

I'm lazy and don't want to shift anymore and I like the idea of only having to work 2 pedals when off-roading opposed to 3. :)

Are there any known issues with the 4speed auto in the JKs or is it a pretty rock solid transmission?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Can't speak for the rest but it`s been working great for me. 4x4 shifter was a little stiff at first but all is good now.

G

·
0 Posts
8K and no troubles. I really like the automatic over the manual for offroading. There are some situations where a stick is better (better engine braking during steep descents, can push start if your battery goes dead), but I think it's a lot easier to drive offroad and gives you a lot more flexibility when crawling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gcg I share your sentiments. Shifting is just one less thing I have to concentrate on when going up a nice steep hill full of rocks or something.

·
Registered
749 Posts
No problems at all,(16,000K)> easy for me to Wheel with...

·
Registered
242 Posts
In a verticle wheelstand my auto ceases to function.........but I think most autos have that issue. Other than that one issue I love my auto.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Rev & 1st cluthch rings destroyed... <7k miles

I bought my JK used in California with ~5500 miles. It has 4″ lift and 37″ tires. Had it regeared with 5.13s. Drove it from California to Texas, ~1400 miles. About 500 miles into it I noticed a noise which seemed to be coming from the rearend. I assumed the new gears were not set well and I was hearing backlash if not premature wear (although it was driven from the gear shop, sat for a couple hours, then I drive it 3 hours, parked it overnight, drove it the next day about 60 miles, parked overnight, and then drove the remaining 1200 miles). The noise was noticed when initially letting off the accelerator. If given more gas or letting off completely it would stop. When driving in OD the 3.8L didn’t have enough power and it shifted between OD and drive a lot. When it would downshift from OD the JK lets off the gas before downshifting and I would hear a quick whirrrring sound. Made it all the way back to Texas, 1200 miles, 19 hours later. The next morning I was pulling it around to load on a trailer to go trail riding. Either I was backing and shifting to reverse of going forward and shifting to drive and didn’t come to a complete stop before engaging the opposite gear. At that time i heard a whirring… grinding noise and the JK didn’t move. I paused, tried again, and it moved forward. I started to pull on the trailer and with the front tires going up it started grinding again and no more. So, I put it in to 4LO… it grinded if given gas a normal, but if very slowly engaged it pulled onto the trailer. Needless to say, rather than going trail riding, I took it to Jeep Service Dept. Two days later they tell me it would not be under warranty because due to the 4″ lift, 37″ tires, and because once breaking the transmission down no sign of overheating was evident… no discoloration or burns on the reverse/low clutch rings, but some were broken with some even having sections out. The case was also gouged from the clutch rings wearing a grove. By the way, the drive overdrive clutch bands looked fine. As they said the transmission was not under warranty they didn’t get to the differentials to check for premature wear, but looking at the transmission case and the gouging I have to assume that was the noise I heard the last 900 miles of drving from California. I can’t imagine such gouging a result of loading onto and off the trailer at the service dept.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was their reasoning behind not covering the transmission because of the 4" lift and 37" tires? I could understand maybe if they said they weren't covering it because you put the different gears, but not covering a transmission because of lift and bigger tires seems a bit stretched. Did you ask them if they've heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
What was their reasoning behind not covering the transmission because of the 4" lift and 37" tires? I could understand maybe if they said they weren't covering it because you put the different gears, but not covering a transmission because of lift and bigger tires seems a bit stretched.
I'm guessing their argument would be that the 37" tires have caused more stress on the transmission. The gears actually help that and I would be interested to see them prove 37's with 5.13's actually cause more stress on the transmission than stock tires and gears. Apart from them saying it is policy blah blah, etc, if you chose to fight it, they have to prove that your modifications caused the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeh but they'd have to have a solid argument about the 37" tires being able to cause that kind of damage in such a short amount of time to ruin those parts effectively the way they were broken. And they'd have to prove their case and I'm sure there would be a couple other people who show up in court to say "I also run 37" tires on my Jeep with the SAME transmission and I didn't have this problem." Needless to say, yeh I'd be on em about that one. :)

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
couldn't prove manufacturing defect

They said not under warranty because of the 37s adding stress and claim someone was probably driving in 4LO driving it hard or back and forth. They advised against contacting Jeep because as soon as a Jeep rep came out and saw the lift and tires they would probably void the whole drivetrain warranty. I asked, "What's the difference? You're saying the transmission is not under warranty now. Why would it or any other component breakdown be under warranty later? I might as well get Jeep rep in and make a determination." I told them to go ahead and call. They said they would call that Wednesday night. I said calling and getting them out here is another story. I asked to be notified when the Jeep rep came out so I could be there. Thursday I called for an update and couldn't reach the guy. Finally, end of day Thursday, the service manager called and said she and the other guy (who I thought was the manager) talked and decided it not in my best interest to contact Jeep, but if I wanted to... they would give an 800#. I called Jeep via the 800# today. All they did was call the dealer and verify the status. Jeep said the dealer indicated they could not find evidence of a manufacturing defect, thus it would not be under warranty. Yeah! Not that the 37s, gears, or whatever did it, but they could prove a defect! So, I asked when the Jeep rep was coming out. Jeep told me that having a rep come out was not something they controlled, but the dealer would have to request. "Excuse me?" Verified what they said and then called the dealer. Now they say it was procedure and the dealer has a call into the district service manager. Waiting...

·
Registered
27 Posts
They said not under warranty because of the 37s adding stress and claim someone was probably driving in 4LO driving it hard or back and forth. They advised against contacting Jeep because as soon as a Jeep rep came out and saw the lift and tires they would probably void the whole drivetrain warranty. I asked, "What's the difference? You're saying the transmission is not under warranty now. Why would it or any other component breakdown be under warranty later? I might as well get Jeep rep in and make a determination." I told them to go ahead and call. They said they would call that Wednesday night. I said calling and getting them out here is another story. I asked to be notified when the Jeep rep came out so I could be there. Thursday I called for an update and couldn't reach the guy. Finally, end of day Thursday, the service manager called and said she and the other guy (who I thought was the manager) talked and decided it not in my best interest to contact Jeep, but if I wanted to... they would give an 800#. I called Jeep via the 800# today. All they did was call the dealer and verify the status. Jeep said the dealer indicated they could not find evidence of a manufacturing defect, thus it would not be under warranty. Yeah! Not that the 37s, gears, or whatever did it, but they could prove a defect! So, I asked when the Jeep rep was coming out. Jeep told me that having a rep come out was not something they controlled, but the dealer would have to request. "Excuse me?" Verified what they said and then called the dealer. Now they say it was procedure and the dealer has a call into the district service manager. Waiting...
I never have this problem with any company after I mention my father being a trial lawyer. Dell gave me a free laptop (to replace a the piece of junk they originally sold us) when I mentioned it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I have not expererienced any problems myself. BUT, over on the other forum there seems to be a developing issue with the auto transmission. Apparently on several occasions, people have experienced a ding alarm while climbing steep grades. There are no warning lights illuminated, but when codes are pulled, a trans overtemp code is thrown.

One of the guys had smoke coming from under the hood and checked only to find transmission fluid boiling out of the dip stick. Another guy had his JK burn to the ground a couple of days ago. There is speculation that this could have been the cause, but it is just speculation at this point. A couple of people have burnt their transmission up though.

I think this is something that we should monitor closely, as the fire seems to develop and spread really fast. I plan to install a transmission cooler soon. Does anybody know if a dealer would try and use this against me if I develop a trans problem later?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts