JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was posting on a fossil forum today and one of the mods and I got in a good thread conversation about jeeps. I thought I'd see if any jeepers here share my other addiction? Here's the post:

Ok..here's some of the stuff I'm finding in the Peace river. I took 50 pics of my collection and found out I have LOT more than I thought I had. Here's a sample and a few I would love to identify.

Ray Plate:

Dugong bones (theyre everywhere):

Gator tooth, shell cast, and ????:

And some more.....

Find a lot of turtle/tortise fragments:

Equine teeth:

Gator scutes:

Glyptodont plates:

Lotta vertebrae...Big one:

Small one:

My son's first fossil. He reached down and found this in the river when he was 2 (he's 4 now). Handed it to me and said "is this a fossil daddy?" (turtle shell):

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not a stupid question at all.

Mostly just researched it on the internet. I found a page, dont have the link handy, that is pictures of common florida fossils. I also post on fossil forums (just joined thefossilforum.com today - I like it a lot).

The area I live in was once a bay (millions of years ago) and was an estuary for megalodons (imagine a great white shark the size of a greyhound bus). So we find some great meg teeth here (a large one can be worth thousands - large = 6" or greater). We dont get dinosaur bones here since florida was underwater during that time. But we do get a lot of mammoth/sabertooth tiger/horse/camel/giant armadillo etc. type stuff. The "other prehistoric animals."

It's really just a hobby for me. But I do meet paleontologists every once in a while on the peace river. The river is LITTERED w/ fossils. I think they call it "bone alley" or something like that. Literally, every 3rd rock you see in the river is a fossil/fossil fragment.

So a good day for me is driving my jeep down some steep bank, into the river, parking it (in/near the river), then fossil hunting all day (face down in the river fanning the bottom - wearing a mask and snorkel). Total cost of the day is whatever food/drink I need and gas money to drive about 30 miles away. Cant beat that.

Edit: I found the page... http://www.fossilexpeditions.com/museum2.htm

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Sounds like fun. I grew up in Illinois on the bluffs near st louis, and you could find lots of small shells and stuff in the bluffs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude watch for gators. They are one reason I don't do much of it here the other is I am not a certified diver as the rivers where the best stuff is found is a little deeper, murky, and muck filled. I do like the islands in the harbour where they dump dredge at least untill they fenced it off. We used to have a sieve and would just shovel and sift for hours finding anything from large (not megladon) to almost microscopic sharks teeth and bone fragments. I do walk around in places that might contain intresting stuff (from arrowheads, to pottery shards, to revolutionarywar/civil war stuff, to rocks, to fossils, to anything) with my head down.

As to the collection it looks like you have a good one going. The one you don't know I would guess as a rib end but I am no expert. One of my kids teachers is a member of the local fossil hunting group and they put on an expo once a year along with the gem and mineral people. Once the school year settles in I will e-mail her the pic and see if she can make a guess but in reality they need to see it to ID it.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ehhh I dont worry about gators. Cottonmouths are more of a concern for me. Ive had them swim right across my legs on more than one occasion. Occupational hazard hehehehe

I typically fossil hunt when the river is at it's lowest (winter/spring). Avg depth is about 20" or so. Crystal clear water. rarely see any gators.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Dang Dude, Thats a lot of teeth.
Not sure if it's fossil hunting but I love to go to places once inhabited by native Americans and root around for arrowheads and other tools but mostly just find shards of obsidian. I've found several rocks which could've been used for skinning an animal. There's an area in Tehachapi that has several flat rock formations that Indians used to grind food for hundreds of years.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Dave I think I saw my penis in the second or third pic...Please send it back to me as my girlfriend would love to see it. She forgets what it looks like. Cant wait to tell her next time to "prepare for a dugonging!"

Honestly, that is some excellent stuff. My father and I are going to hand down our fossils and Indian artifacts to my nephew (as I have no son). Hopefully he appreciates the things that Dad and I found when I was a kid...so that he can hand them down to his son, and so on. We would always hunt the freshly plowed fields around central Ohio, right after a good rain. It's kinda sad that kids nowdays get excited about music downloads, the latest Xbox game, and virtual this and cyber that...but such are the times. I am sure you appreciate the great hands on educational value that you are teaching him (all while enjoying the father/ son bond). NICE!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Dave I think I saw my penis in the second or third pic...Please send it back to me as my girlfriend would love to see it. She forgets what it looks like. Cant wait to tell her next time to "prepare for a dugonging!"
Dude, I thought that was a terd....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Honestly, that is some excellent stuff. My father and I are going to hand down our fossils and Indian artifacts to my nephew (as I have no son). Hopefully he appreciates the things that Dad and I found when I was a kid...so that he can hand them down to his son, and so on. We would always hunt the freshly plowed fields around central Ohio, right after a good rain. It's kinda sad that kids nowdays get excited about music downloads, the latest Xbox game, and virtual this and cyber that...but such are the times. I am sure you appreciate the great hands on educational value that you are teaching him (all while enjoying the father/ son bond). NICE!
OMG I thought I was gonna die laughing.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
And although my dork has never evolved into a turd and then morphed into a fossil...I will accept that...:laughing2: Hell, even I'm laughing now!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If you have been around as long as I have, and happen to be unfortunate enough to be single, you are automatically a fossil hunter

post padding at its best.....

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I blackwater dive for shark teeth and whale bones.
Explain that. Blackwater dive? Deep dark creeks I'm reckoning? Using lights? I could get into that.

Edit: and post up some pics of your finds.

OH yeah...you might like this forum: www.thefossilforum.com. Great forum. Everything from PhD paleontologists there to rednecks like myself. A few jeepers there too ;). That's actually how I found it - from another jeep forum.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Dave,
any kind of river diving where there is very little to no vis is called "blackwater diving".I have not done it as often lately as I used to.it is better done during the cooler months for a few reasons.1.the water is clearer or "cleaner".2.less boat traffic which also contributes to the water clarity.I have yet to find the larger mag teeth that I'm after,but I have tons of the smaller makos and hammerheads like the ones you had spilled all over your table.Where did you find the teeth?Sifting?I know that some of the springs in your area is good for that.If you want to dive,let me know and I can share more tips for you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts