JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliffs: I'm intoxicated and need gaskets for a Chevy 4.3 Vortec in a boat. Are those gaskets the same as automotive gaskets?

I'm about 3/4 through a fifth of Johnnie Walker Black Label right now, so bear with me...

I have a 1995 Chris Craft boat. My grandfather bought it new and kept it at our family camp. He passed in 2005. No one really maintained it since then. Last summer we finally pulled it out of the water, did a thorough scrub down, and brought it to a shop to have maintenance performed. He rebuilt the entire lower unit, changed the oil, and cleaned up some wires.

Ran great through the summer, but a few months back it lost all power on the way back to the camp from the lake. It idled, but more throttle just bogged it down.

I'm told it's most likely that the ether in the gas my uncles used to fill it on the way back to the camp from the mechanic ate through the silicone seals on the intake manifold to the cylinder heads. Makes sense to me...

but where can I get the damn gaskets? It's a Chevrolet Vortec 4.3- do I just order a Vortec 4.3 gasket set or will these be specific to a boat? I can handle the wrenching and the way I see it, if it ends up being worse than these intake gaskets, the cost of the gaskets will be worth trying before paying a shop $2500 to pull and rebuild the motor.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Pick a set up and check them out, if they look good they probably are. My good friend is a former Mercruiser engineer, he told me stories of Chevy parts marked up just to put a Mercruiser part number on it. I would guess your boat would be the same.
Sent from my little magic box.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
i bet there the same, id take it apart (trying mot to destroy at least 1 of the gaskets) and see. i have a boat but its a outboard. We did take a marine 351 and put it in a friend bronco once, all we had to do was put in some softplugs and swap the cam out and it worked great although that doesnt help you at all

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could just go to boats.net and find the part there.
Good reference, but they don't show anything on a Vortec. I'll have to look further and see if it's rebadged as something else. I'll check it out further when the rain stops. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think they are the same thing. I doubt they would be an different if its a Chevy motor. We have a Chevy 305 in ours.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was initially water in the oil, yes, which made them think head gasket, but compression tests were fine, which threw me off. A customer of mine who rebuilds boats knows I do most of my work on my vehicles and recommended I swap the intake gaskets before paying him to do the work. How many mechanics do you know who'd make that suggestion?

He said even if it doesn't work, the gaskets are reusable, so I'd only be out labor and he could reuse whatever gaskets I replace, so it wouldn't be a total loss either way. Just gotta figure out which damn gaskets to buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.